It’s the year 2021 and my tv has a software update.

Not sure I like this cyberpunk future, to be honest.
@Kabuku Pretty much. Even better; last update brought some weird behavior, like wanting to shut down randomly even when there clearly was an incoming signal. Derp?
@Kabuku Of course is all about spying on viewers. Anything “smart” especially TVs is designed that way.

/@Streakmachine
@Kabuku A valid question in this day and age. I like to hope Philips is better, but I wouldn’t put it past even them. I’ll cut off its internet access when I rebuild and redesign the network here at home.
@33MHz Panic, no. Mild annoyance, yes.
@Streakmachine Is why I still have a Dumb TV and have no plans of getting rid of it.
@joe Good move! Unfortunately, my last dumb tv was a CRT, and getting a new dumb tv is darn close to impossible. I’ll probably never give it internet access again once we’ve moved to the new place. Just don’t see the need.
@Streakmachine Newer smart TVs are very aggressive in terms of making you connect to the internet so soon it would be impossible to not give it access. Sad times.

There’s still some good dumb TVs is you look long and hard since they’re trying to bury it.
@joe Hopefully they haven’t snuck anything unpleasant like that into the latest update. Guess I’ll find out when I kick it off the network.
@joe I really do not like all the integrated Alexa, etc. stuff in TVs these days. It seems that you can not do *anything* without the remote. Well, I *can* work around mine.

@Streakmachine
There was never a such thing a dub television set. They’ve always been able to know that people are watching. The Nielsen chip for one thing. @joe @Streakmachine
@Streakmachine I still have dumb TVs.
@joanna Keep it as long as it’s possible! I tried for years to find something I wanted that didn’t have “smart” features, and had to settle for the least annoying one we could find.
@Streakmachine I appreciate that and am not looking forward to replacing my TV. It's always something I dislike doing!