I very much enjoy having a Linux phone. #ubuntutouch #ubports ๐Ÿงโค
@thrrgilag I was briefly tempted to try one. Still holding out hopes that a Windows phone appears in the post-Balmer era that actually rates as an alternative to Apple and Google.
@GTWilson I used a windows phone for a brief while and it was pretty decent. But I've become much more interested and focused on free/libre open source software these days.
@thrrgilag I'd love to have one myself! How can I start? What's the hardware you have?
@nitinkhanna I suggest checking out UBports [ubports.com] & their device list [devices.ubuntu-touch.io] or SailfishOS [sailfishos.org] which you can use with Xperia X devices. I'm using a Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Ed with #ubports, Nexus 5 previously. Sailfish works great on an Xperia X as well.
@thrrgilag oooh a Meizu! I'm jealous! I've wanted to get my hands on one since some time now. Where did you acquire it from? Ebay or somesuch or are you in some area where you can actually buy Meizu officially?
@nitinkhanna I was lucky enough to buy it online in the smallest of windows when they released the Ubuntu Edition before they sold out of them. I recently pressed it back into use when ubports hit a major release milestone recently.
@thrrgilag very nice! How is the new experience? From what I can see, OTA-4 seems to be a big change!
@nitinkhanna OTA5 is really good. They have a new browser so the experience is much improved over the previous builds. I'll be getting a version of Goober out for Ubuntu Touch soon.
@thrrgilag @nitinkhanna I saw the Nexus 5 on that list. Since I have one of them, is it good on there?
@joe @nitinkhanna runs great on the Nexus 5. Some of the devs use that as their main device.
@thrrgilag @nitinkhanna Never knew it’s still a primary device all these years later. Will have to try it out soon.
@thrrgilag I think I would probably enjoy that too. I do not know how to get started though. I can not afford to buy a phone outright.
@hybotics Yeah phones keep getting more expensive for no reason other than manufactures getting greedy. Makes things particularly difficult when you have a tight budget. Hopefully more Linux phones allow for more opportunity for budget phone.
@thrrgilag @hybotics No question and it’s going to get even more worse in the coming months and years. Makes me need to hope for Linux powered phones to take off.
@hybotics @thrrgilag I’m also hoping for this phone to take off.

Already pre-ordered one.

Librem5 [puri.sm]
@joe That looks worth taking a gamble on. I'm starting to adopt views anymore that I used to consider black helicopter idiocy mere months ago. / @hybotics @thrrgilag