#Mozilla's road to irrelevance continues as they're laying off 250 more employees amid further restructuring [vice.com]. They only have themselves to blame for getting into this scenario. #FirefoxOS anyone?
In other words, we all saw this coming years ago and Mozilla has failed to realize it until it was too late. I had glimmers of hope that their Quantum browser can be the solution but it turns out to be a major flop.
As a result & hate to say this, Firefox is on life support and the last viable true open option would go away. For mobile especially, Chrome has already won that war. Wonder if Onion browsers would move to Chromium?
I say we need someone to build a replacement sooner than later. Maybe text-based browsers can make a comeback somehow...
Update: Mozilla's entire MDN team has been gutted [fastcompany.com]

Yikes, they're REALLY on life support now...
@joe I think their best paid product is Pocket, but it’s not worth the $50/yr to me.

but I am a happy FF user
@mikehoss I still like Pocket despite their maintenance mode development now. I have to wonder now how long Mozilla can survive this downward spiral? My guess is that they might be acquired by someone down the road.
@joe my guess is that there isn't anything left to add ti Pocket unless they did not more with content creation.

If Mozilla makes a Slack clone, we know its over. But I think the age of Slack clones are over.
@mikehoss I'd pay for Pocket (I already use it), but there's not a single extra feature in the premium version which I want. Also, you can't rename items (and sometimes their title detection breaks), and you can only *sometimes* set a title via their API
@mikehoss So for me they have lots of room for improvement in that service, and I'd happily get premium if they added these features there
@hutattedonmyarm I totally agree...I saw their paid features and thought "not for me"
@mikehoss I’d pay for FF but probably not enough.

/@joe
@joe I can't imagine Tor, et al shifting to Chromium - incompatible with their privacy mantra. I support Moz because the open web is an invaluable resource, but if FF falls, Google will own the internet. @33MHz @mikehoss @jeremycherfas @hutattedonmyarm
@thedoctor I don't see that either but they may not have a choice if Firefox goes away (unless someone forks it), which could mean that Google would control most of the web if not already.

@hutattedonmyarm @jeremycherfas @mikehoss @33MHz
@joe @33MHz @jeremycherfas @hutattedonmyarm @thedoctor I'm not giving up hope on Firefox yet... There is Brave as our last hope... Chromium but not Google
[Deleted]
@mikehoss Today after opening Firefox they threw this in my face :/
/@thedoctor @jeremycherfas @33MHz @joe
cookie jar (i)
@mikehoss I do enjoy Vivaldi since it’s good for the power browse user like myself although it varies.

/@thedoctor @hutattedonmyarm @jeremycherfas @33MHz
@joe @mikehoss @hutattedonmyarm @jeremycherfas @33mhz yeah, Brave seemed like decent solution at a surface glance, but got worse the deeper you looked into. Plus it is a Chromium fork.
@thedoctor Brave’s business model is crypto affiliate links [davidgerard.co.uk]

Plus Elch is kind of a douche to the LGBTQ community although he shouldn’t been forced out of Mozilla despite this.

/@33mhz @jeremycherfas @hutattedonmyarm @mikehoss
@joe @hutattedonmyarm @jeremycherfas @mikehoss @33mhz if Firefox/Mozilla did go under, I would hope some org like Tor or EFF would be able to secure enough of their assets to restart Firefox. Kind of like 8tracks, which is apparently alive again.
@joe if Firefox fell, it would be Chromium and the teeny tiny market share that Safari holds (which lets face it, is irrelevant). Not a promising future for the open web.
@thedoctor Melody Horn posted this yesterday on what a post open source world would look like [boringcactus.com]

Give it a read, sadly it doesn’t look good as she predicts.
@joe she is a bit optimistic throughout, but her message at the end of the article seemed pretty stark. It also bothered me that she did not capitalize the start of sentences, so I did not read as closely as I should have.