If someone wanted to learn how to code, what would be the best language to start with?

@blumenkraft

>> @icyjohnson: If someone wanted to learn how to code, what would be the best language to start with?

@icyjohnson depends on what you want to do. wanna code websites? cryptocurrencies? apps?

in general i think it can't hurt to know Swift. you can do apps and web stuff with it.
@blumenkraft so learning frame work is better than learning languages??? Or that just the best place to start???
@icyjohnson with React you can build both, websites and apps with one thing. you would need to learn JS i think.
this is the moment when @kwood needs to jump in since he is an actual expert. i'm only pretending. ;)
@blumenkraft thanks for your input... really appreciate it...

// @kwood
@icyjohnson wait for @kwood! then you'll really know what input is!! ;)
#insiderjoke*

*@kwood is known for getting carried away when talking about coding and languages. he knows a lot of things. :)
@icyjohnson Yep, as others already said, JS is a good start nowadays, it has a lot of momentum, is forgiving, has great tooling and it runs basically anywhere and anything // @blumenkraft
@icyjohnson And the only framework you need to start is this one: http://vanilla-js.com :) // @blumenkraft
@kwood I'm a N00b to modern JS myself. Is Vanilla comparable to/better than Angular/Ember etc? @blumenkraft @icyjohnson
@saket @kwood oh noooooo. ouch 😈😈
@33MHz LOL. I know I'm potentially opening up a world of hurt, but I do love dissenting opinions, so I'm very curious about @kwood's opinion.
@saket Download the framework and just briefly look over it. I'll wait. @kwood
@33MHz Not behind a computer right now, but I'll definitely check it out. @kwood
@saket It plays in a league of its own, those fancy Angulars and Embers are all slow as hell and lack all kinds of features in comparison. And the best thing is that is FULLY backwards compatible to its predecessor: https://plainjs.com // 33MHz
@kwood Sounds cool!!
@kwood when i see this thread i think this might me some good example to play with. ;)
@blumenkraft YOU are supposed to work through http://eloquentjavascript.net cover to cover anyway, you know that :P
@kwood i know that. ^^
but i was referring to a threadview example. when you make this thread readable you hit your goal. ;)
@blumenkraft Ah. Yes, correct, thread view crossed my mind a couple of messages earlier already :) Will do. Soon. Really soon.
@kwood i 'bookmarked' your post, but it was supposed to be a 'star'. ;)
@kwood it's in Pocket now. meaning i will read it eventually*.

*no really!
@icyjohnson Book recommendation for starters: http://eloquentjavascript.net (online version is even free) // @blumenkraft
@icyjohnson I went from zero knowledge to some knowledge by signing up to Treehouse and doing some of their courses. Even if it's only a couple months I would highly recommend that…
@icyjohnson @blumenkraft I'd say it'd be good to pick u some basic vanilla JS first. Also if you are doing web stuff please make sure and get some html under yr belt too :))
@icyjohnson I asked this a lot when I was tryna figure out where to start :) I went through different modules on code academy to get a feel for what worked for me -ended up concentrating on easier front end stuff first before looking at more framework
@ukhaiku i only learned basic and logo. that was 25 years ago. ;)
@icyjohnson
@icyjohnson it had it's time. it's no more*. ;)
@ukhaiku

there might be some 30yo nuclear power plants running it i assume. and of course all banks until today.
@icyjohnson Something of a joke - I cut my teeth on it 20 years ago. That said, there's still plenty of demand for it, albeit fairly boring work I imagine.. ;-) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL @blumenkraft
@ukhaiku @blumenkraft got you... 😩😂😂
@ukhaiku well, maintaining a mainframe can be an adventure don't you think? ;)
@icyjohnson
@blumenkraft Oh yes, especially given how much has been offshored and and poorly documented!

I don't know if it's the right answer, but I'm aiming to learn Swift this year.. @icyjohnson
@ukhaiku @icyjohnson however it turnes out Icy, let me know which way you go. :)
@icyjohnson Lisp is traditional but you can do fun stuff immediately with vanilla JavaScript.
@icyjohnson It really depends on what it is you might like to code. At the moment, JavaScript is actually doing quite well along with the web frameworks being used. But there's a case to be made for almost every language.
@icyjohnson I like python and swift most.
In my experience I would recommend Python first 😊
You can make little and useful scripts with just a text editor, it runs on raspberry pi natively and you can learn all of the basic (and advanced 😉) knowledge.
@unixb0y @icyjohnson yep agree it gives you a place to start and room to run.
@prometheus I actually wrote a piece of software in python for quite a big company's IT forensics department that is used regularly :) @icyjohnson
@icyjohnson for apps, swift 😊 Xcode and Swift are a pleasure to use!

Making websites is no big deal these days; if you can code you can make websites :P
@icyjohnson Motivation, resources, and environment mostly matter more than the language itself. The How to Design Programs course has had good results: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/part_preface.html
@icyjohnson But as an example of what I mean by environment annex motivation, success in an intro programming course can be significantly altered by changing how the material is taught (active learning, media computation) vs just changing language.
@icyjohnson As beginner you need to learn many language-irrelevant skills and mental models. Language can play in through creating too much incidental complexity, that you can't see forest for trees. But tooling can fix that even for Java. 🤷🏽‍♀️
@icyjohnson Mostly, we still know depressingly little about how to teach people programming, and many teachers are resistant to changing their teaching practices per what we do know, so progress has been very slow.
@jws thanks for the advice...
@icyjohnson *environment AND motivation, not "annex" - thanks Gboard!
@icyjohnson depends what u want to do. JavaScript is good or websites, etc. I started with Python. Had a great discussion with @bayprogrammer on this very question. He's very helpful.⌨💻
@MrFresh thank you for your advice...
@icyjohnson All good, lemme know how u make out. I'm still at the beginning of my journey.
@ericd Hello. Could I be added to the #apero beta list?
If you have a Mac or an iPad, I would highly recommend Swift Playgrounds to learn programming basics in a fun and interactive way. >> @icyjohnson: If someone wanted to learn how to code, what would be the best language to start with?