Thinking about where to live next in a longer-term sense. Mostly tired of CA (all my friends are here), but trying to figure out where to go next. ID, MT, MN, MI. I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to pick up and move somewhere I don't know anybody again.
@kyle That’s difficult. Friends matter!
@mandy I moved out here and didn't know anyone, and I still struggle with the results from that. Then again, this is the PRC, so who knows how things would be different elsewhere.
@kyle I have a small building in complete disrepair in a dangerous neighborhood, if that's what you're looking for! General Custer and Mark Twain are rumored to have stayed there. You aren't? Okay. 😅
@33MHz Have swords will travel D:
@kyle you know some people from here in MI.
@igmp_join MI is kind of a big place though
@kyle exactly and it is a lot of regional difference. @thedoctor and I live in very different communities.
/@igmp_join
@mandy some differences but a shared love for craft beer 😂 @igmp_join @kyle
@kyle I can relate, having done it a few times myself, most recently to Seattle. I've been fortunate that I've been able to form new connections while keeping up with my family and friends in California. But it can be tough.
@kyle There’s a rhythm to moving somewhere else that’s not in your social circle that looks intimidating, but having done it at least a half dozen times over the last few decades, you get the hang of it. You may also find you relish the anonymity!
@habanero I did it in the Army, moving all the time. It's only in the past two or three years that I've felt like I have some kind of friends. I'm kind of tired of anonymity, I guess I'd like to actually feel a part of something.
@kyle I hear ya on both fronts! yeah, I’ve done a lot of exchange work globally and I got tired of meeting people, clicking, and then never seeing them again. Being part of the work was ok, but ultimately, I didn’t derive much purpose from it.
@kyle why leave, especially if all your friends are there? CA's a huge state: if it's just a matter of finding things to do, surely you won't find any place better elsewhere?

I'm on Signal if you ever need one of your pre-CA digital friends to talk to. ❤️
@bayprogrammer reasons to leave include politics, culture, and it not being a very well-run state. You can find interesting stuff to do almost anywhere if you look...