Anyone using NordVPN on Mac know what the difference between the NordVPN IKE (app store) and Open VPN (direct download off their site) is? I read this [support.nordvpn.com], but the language on which is protocol is stronger is a skosh confusing. #vpn #privacy
@thedoctor I had used it before. The way the app is built and runs is different depending on which source you download. I don’t recall exactly what but I opted for the website version.
@thedoctor They both have differences but I can't say which is the better option. Btw, Nord is shady as hell. I would switch to either ProtonVPN or Mullivad (latter has Wireguard) since they're the ones that people trust the most from what I have seen.
@joe can you elaborate on Nord's security risks? I looked into lots of VPNs and theirs was consistently rated highly(est). I did not know Proton had a VPN. I'll check that out
@thedoctor Maybe you missed this when I shared this in October but one of their data centers was hacked in March 2018, leaving it vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks [techmeme.com]

Basically, they left it unpatched for over a year.
@thedoctor Also, they're not very transparent when it comes to security and who actually owns it.

Speaking of ProtonVPN [protonvpn.com] and Mullivad [mullvad.net], here's the homepages.
@joe I switched to Mullvad on a recommendation from a friend I trust. Much better than Encrypt Me and it just works.

/@thedoctor
@jeremycherfas yeah, EncryptMe / Cloak got shadier ~1 year ago, iirc @joe