Hi All,
What is the best VPN service around these days?
@mina @33MHz I use TunnelBear, although my usage is pretty light. Works everywhere I need it, reliable, decent speed, super easy.
@anth I subscribed to Tunnelbear, so far working fine. I got the free tier for the time being /@33MHz
@mina @33MHz Also, you didn't ask, but the *worst* VPN is whatever the hell my employer uses. Pretty sure it's based on IP over carrier pigeon.
@mina I'd recommend either Cloak [www.getcloak.com] or Private Internet Access.

Cloak's advantage is their great macOS and iOS apps that connect automatically based on what wifi network you're on.

PIA is also great, and seems less error prone and more secure.

/@33MHz
@hisaac @mina @33MHz in a previous life, my wife's work for a giant mutual fund required VPN for all home<-->office communication. I got the job of making sure our dodgy Comcast cable modem let her do this with as little pain as possible. Its easier now?
@hisaac but as I understand PIA has issues related to their policy. Am I wrong on that? /@33MHz
@mina I haven't heard that before, but I also haven't dug all that deep into it. I'm curious now though. What are the issues? @33MHz
@hisaac if I am not mistaken, it's related to being in US and hence forced to monitor the users usage. / @33MHz
@mina 🤔 innnnnteresting. I'll have to look into that. Their website does say they're US based, but also that they don't keep VPN traffic logs. @33MHz
@hisaac that's something I read over Twitter, I am not 💯% sure but I will look into that as well /@33MHz
@mina I use TunnelBear because of the cross-platform capabilities.
@mina Tunnelbear or Disconnect are what I use.
@joe @literary I subscribed to Tunnelbear free tier. I got 1.5GB to test with.
@mina Its best to pay for it as you know, I use that a lot.

@literary
@mina I've happily used cloak for a long time on all of my devices.
@hawaiiboy I can't decide TunnelBear vs Cloak, Tunnelbear is cheaper though.
@mina I like Cloak. But I have no other experience, it was just recommended on podcasts I listen to. @hawaiiboy
@formfireglass I don't have experience with any, except for Tunnelbear which I just downloaded today. @hawaiiboy
@mina I like the set and forget of cloak. Set trusted networks and the Cloak does the rest. I also like the simple menu bar click to turn on when I want to watch a BBC video.
@hawaiiboy the Trusted networks will disable Cloak automatically. Because TunnelBear so far is very nice to be always connected.