@Wife @betzeee y'all got any experience with beer bread? I'm curious. Might make some this weekend. Probably will bake some Monday.
@igmp_join @Wife I’ve made it before, though not in the last couple years. But it’s not at all difficult, as I recall. What kind of beer are you planning on using?
@betzeee @Wife I've got a porter on hand, but that's all that's on hand. Could definitely get something in particular for it though.
@igmp_join @Wife I feel like I’ve had better luck in the past with lighter beers, but I could be misremembering.
@betzeee @Wife the one place I was reading suggested maltier beers, probably avoid ipas, and the comments section was full of dark beers being used. But I have no clue. Maybe I'll plan to try a couple ways.
@igmp_join @Wife Pretty sure the most successful beer bread I ever made was with a Coors Light (because I sure wasn’t going to DRINK it...) haha
@betzeee @Wife trying that would mean buying a Coors light...
@igmp_join @betzeee @Wife I've been told that beer bread and bread made with pop (soda for non-Midwesterners) taste pretty much the same, but I haven't tried.
@mandy here I thought soda bread was Irish. ;)
@betzeee @igmp_join
@igmp_join Is the beer just to replace water, or are you thinking it will provide rise too?

@betzeee @Wife
@jeremycherfas most beer breads are a quickbread, so I'd imagine there is some amount of rise from the carbonation and baking soda reacting. /@betzeee @igmp_join
@Wife Ah. I’ve only ever added beer to a mostly rye, for flavour rather than fizz.

@igmp_join @betzeee
cookie jar (i)
@igmp_join How was it? That is what really matters.

@betzeee @Wife
@jeremycherfas @Wife @betzeee a bit tough. A bit rough on the ... Baking powder? Could have used a little less. Could have used less flour dusting. Or more liquid I guess to deal with the flour.
@igmp_join so, how did the bread taste?
@Wife a bit bitter. Not very flavorful. Mostly a disappointment. Hard. Thick dry crust, but a moist center sort of. Dense.
@igmp_join I've made beer bread just the one time, I used something from UCBC, but don't remember what. I've frequently made stout cakes or stews though.
@igmp_join this is really about sweet baked goods, but is a nice quick read about beer flavor profiles when baking. https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2018/10/17/baking-with-beer/