With the social media as it is today, the latest Cambridge Analytica-Facebook faux pas, etc....is internet privacy even really private anymore today? Should we just take it for what it is?
@MrFresh I'm skeptical of companies' abilities to keep data private, or not attempt to cash in on data they have, for sure.
@33MHz I feel the same way, even amidst their statements saying they won’t share.
@MrFresh On one hand I think companies should be held accountable, and users should give less away that they don't want to get out -- but I think the Internet is at its best as a playground, not a workplace, big business, or personal data store.
@33MHz The thing is, often times we over share vital info - knowingly. I just wonder, at this point in time, if it’s a moot point to believe in any decent level of privacy protection.
@MrFresh oversharing is pushed from both sides... Some are encouraged by early Internetters who want to be able to share like randos again. Then big forces like Netflix, product-builders, value-adders, require it for us to get their joys.
@33MHz I agree on the duality, but when it comes oversharing on the users part, I don’t think it’s always thought out well. One common example - locale checkins - what’s the real necessity for that? I’ve never used that capability for personal reasons.
@MrFresh that's a good example. I was actually looking at #pnut adopting checkins and what that would look like. What would the point be? I think 1 of 2 uses: logging is a big part of social; I ate X at Y restaurant. And to be able to split posts by region
@33MHz I definitely get the whole thing of how checkins have become big, but I guess I’ve never been about the “real time” aspect. I’m satisfied about telling u (even in person) where and what I ate - later.
@MrFresh At the very start of my biking data, I enjoyed seeing "ah, this is the high point in my ride, this section is where I slow down", and set a couple ideas like "push here". After that initial glance, I didn't want to look at it. Though too anecdotal
@33MHz I actually like the trend data, but it benefits me only, so I’m like...”What’s the reason to share it publically?” I’m definitely in the minority on that.
@MrFresh @33MHz I'm not sure either though I am logging all workouts on Strava at the request of my husband. "Kudos" aren't that rewarding. I could log offline with Logsit app quite well, no need for Strava.
@mandy Kudos don’t motivate me so AI know what u mean. Never heard of the logsit app, can you post a link? Thx! @33MHz
@MrFresh It was recommended by @jws I believe.
Logsit by David Yates
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logsit/id776811015?mt=8
Valuable in tracking household chores. When did I change the towels… ah there it is!
@mandy @jws Sweet! I just downloaded it! Thx!
@MrFresh It’s wonderfully disconnected (no sync threatening to mess things up), but it supports CSV export, so it’s easy to back up. I certainly find it helpful.
/@mandy
@jws Fine by me! Thanks @mandy
@MrFresh How useful those are... limited, for sure.
@MrFresh I think consumerism's appeals to our data are more overt than ever, and so easier to turn away from... I dunno... Talking like a crazy person now. I'd rather read a paper book and have a friend over for whiskey until X company accepts my terms.
@mrfresh I'll be honest -- eat a brownie and hack on my projects until I've given up on X company... XD
@33MHz I still read magazines and buy physical novels... my tactile preference, among other things.
@MrFresh I think our use of screens puts our head in a weird place.

While admittedly, I work at a screen in my off time as a craft, like I'm building furniture.
@33MHz It does, weird is a good adjective.
@MrFresh It's naturally fragmented. Pushing everything together online is whack.
@MrFresh More generally, I'm concerned about social media as cynic propagator, and its use as a person's lifeblood. The Internet without context (relationship) is unhealthy, when used in depth.
@33MHz @MrFresh That is very much true, like more like a part of a person’s life which is chilling.
@joe @33MHz Are you guys familiar with Gyrosco.pe ? If so, what are your thoughts on the whole self-quantified movement?
@MrFresh @33MHz I have, but it requires a FB account which is a total red flag. As for the movement, I just shrug. That will fade eventually.
@joe Actually it doesn’t require and FB account only. I’ve used the free version for a long Time and always logged in via email and password for the same reasoning you mentioned. @33MHz
@joe @33MHz I’m actually very impressed at the functionality Gyrpscope offers but I’m not with the whole “track everything I do/improve your health by seeing the daily mega data” thing, and surely don’t want to pay for that.
@MrFresh Not specifically. Tools' usefulness is up to the skill of the weilder, but I think generally the move to quantify your life is an unhealthy mindframe unless taken up frivolously. Look too close and you won't be able to draw what you see.
/@joe
@33MHz Agree re: the user skill level I just think there is still a naïveté with some regarding how that locale data can be used @joe
@MrFresh Yes! It can be used nefariously pretty easily. I was logging my biking in Strava for a while there, and eventually decided it wasn't something I wanted as much as someone else probably wants me to do it.
@33MHz I bike (and have done the same with a Strava) and occasionally run. I use the Apple Watch as a fitness tracker but even in the early days sharing my route publically, I’ve never been interested.
@MrFresh Not specifically. Tools' usefulness is up to the skill of the weilder, but I think generally the move to quantify your life is an unhealthy mindframe unless taken up frivolously. Look too close and you won't be able to draw what you see.
/@joe
@33MHz “a person’s life blood” - now you’re on to the genesis of my question.
@MrFresh Nope, even though PR-wise companies are committed to keep data safe, it’s really a farce. Instead they’re going to still collect and sell data begins people’s back. The Equifax fracas is a great example. Business as usual there despite that.
@joe Precisely, so in that context, should we not oven worry about “Orwellian” tracking and just accept it as a part of modern day (and future) life?
@MrFresh I think giving up is the wrong approach, but I've certainly lost any sense of surprise.
@tewha Well put. Definitely not giving up but sometimes I wonder if it’s all for naught...