Has anyone any experience of pip installing third-party modules at pythonanywhere.com? #PNUTpy fails, I can't quite understand the potential virtualenv solution yet.

hacking space <=> [patter.chat]

Tailed by: jws, Streakmachine

@bazbt3 So PythonAnuwhere.com is kinda like Glitch.io, but for Python? TIL!

As you can imagine, I’ve not used it before. I’d have to see the error transcript to have a hope of debugging.
@jws I signed up today, to a free accound with approx 100 processor seconds. It's quite cool :) Re. debugging, I read further; there are 2 methods to install per user: virtualenv and something else. I'll try that one next. ;)
@bazbt3 Also, if you’re getting into Python, you should probably be reading Glyph’s blog. :) Lots of good things to learn from there.

Example: https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2016/08/attrs.html
@jws Thanks, bookmarked until later when I'll not be pretending to do work.
@jws Think I figured it out, e.g.:
`pip3.6 install --user pnutpy` - has to be done *per user*.
Next hurdle: connection to the pnut.io API is forbidden, need to ask puthonanywhere to whitelist. Easy! ;)
@jws Here's a screenshot, the bottom end of the traceback.

@33MHz I'd like to ask pythonanywhere.com to whitelist the pnut.io API; they need API docs. Is it ok to submit:

Docs: https://pnut.io/docs/api/implementation/overview

API: https://api.pnut.io/v0
cookie jar (i)
@bazbt3 Yep, that's cool.
@33MHz Done, and thanks. Just have to wait now. (bows) :)
@bazbt3 Very cool! I asked them to whitelist the App.net API back then, and it was no problem for them.
// @33MHz @jws
@schmidt_fu Sounds promising. I *hope* they can do it, I cannot justify $5 a month for the 'hacker' account right now just to get unrestricted API access.
/@33MHz @jws
@bazbt3 @33MHz @schmidt_fu Yeah, $5/mo is what I pay for a full VPS with Digital Ocean.
@jws Indeed. And I have that Raspberry Pi literally* gathering dust.

*Er… I should create an RPi electronics project to gather dust.
/@33MHz @schmidt_fu
@bazbt3 I have one in a bin from a co-worker. And an iMX53 Quickstart Board box from another former project also in a box. And all my old laptops. I am no good at multiple devices.
// @schmidt_fu @33MHz
@jws Hmmm… I've a collection of old HDDs, just in case i can use 'em one day! And a 'nineties 486 DX2/66 PC box. And a mid-eighties BBC Micro I last fiddled about with maybe 10 years ago. :)
/@schmidt_fu @33MHz
@bazbt3 I like my old devices also, but I had to cut down on how much old electronics I store.
// @33MHz @jws
@jws I upgraded to a pythonanywhere paid account *despite* the cost. May be short-term until the Raspberry Pi's up again, but it's good to see code just work instead of being defeated by sensible external API access restrictions. ;)
/@33MHz @schmidt_fu
@schmidt_fu It worked; now pythonanywhere.com whitelisted the pnut.io API I have a fully-functioning Python pnut.io app … impressed I am. Very impressed.
/@33MHz @jws
@bazbt3 @33MHz Yeah, sounds like the whitelisting issue you mentioned.