Just got hit by a m*fvckin car 😑
@unixb0y dude wow! Take care, hope you recover quickly.
@ludolphus Thanks Steven 😊
I have to add, lately very, very frequently car drivers ignore my right of way.
Like, twice a month?
Usually I see them and I can brake just in time.
Today not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@unixb0y Wow, is everything alright with you?
@thedan84 Yeah, I'm quite fine, @ uni now ^^

But I think it's very outrageous to ignore the right of way, especially when it's a bike rider...
I suppose those idiots use their phone while driving or so....
@unixb0y I often see people ok their phone while driving. I kill every one of them. 😤
@thedan84 yeah.. 😕😕 that’s worse than driving with a beer or 2 probably 😅😅
@unixb0y Glad to read later that you are safe. The dangers of sharing the road are part of why I bike less than I could. (I even have to text my wife every time I get to my destination safely since she worries, too.) Wish separated lanes were more common.
@jws @unixb0y That seems like the debate the British have about this:

"Look, no one really *wants* to cycle!"
- "They don't *dare*!"

Reposting this article:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/article/20171126-Chris-Boardman-0
@schmidt_fu lol how stupid 😂 @jws
@schmidt_fu this: >>
"people who regularly commute by bike almost halve their chances of dying from heart disease and cancer compared to people who drive. In fact their chances of dying prematurely by any cause, drops by 41%"
#cycling
@jws
@unixb0y My standard commute these days is a flight of stairs to my attic. I even make that commute multiple times a day. 😂
// @schmidt_fu
@jws My commute starts with a couple of flights of stairs...down to the car. I live in a 3rd floor apartment. @schmidt_fu @unixb0y
@jws home office? 😊
// @schmidt_fu
@schmidt_fu
Aaaand this >>>
"have speeds reduced or areas around schools made car-free" 👍🏼 #cycling

I'd also like harsher penalties (?) for people using their phone while driving. Imho take the driver license away.
@jws
@jws @unixb0y @ludolphus I've seen the Critical Mass event at the world climate conference #COP23 in our city. They claim to reclaim the streets for biking, and issues with the roads showed instantly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass_(cycling)
@unixb0y There's no way for one hundred bikers to get through #Bonn without massively interfering with cars, trams and buses. Other cities have bicycle "highways" that are mostly crossing-free :-/
/ @ludolphus @jws
@schmidt_fu hmm I remember now that once you said they don’t even have small bikeways in Bonn, right?
Though I’m pretty sure if people would use the bike instead of the car, there would be less traffic jams.
Often it’s 1 person in 1 car
// @jws @ludolphus
@unixb0y Not everywhere, but in most places bikeways are just painted on the road. We've got some bikeways in the many parks, and even one below street level across the other side of the river Rhine. But still a long way to go.
/@ludolphus @jws
@schmidt_fu Hmm right.. I ride the bike in my hometown and in Darmstadt; Darmstadt isn't really full of bikeways either, but at least the big streets have the painted stuff that you mentioned. @ludolphus @jws
@unixb0y “So generous, to put me entirely in the door zone. Thanks!”
// @ludolphus @schmidt_fu
@unixb0y Come to think, there are some bikeways along main street, taking space away from the sidewalk. But often, they conflict with parking lots and garage exits :-/
/ @ludolphus @jws
@schmidt_fu Yeah, in those cases I sometimes also choose to share the road with the cars... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not perfect but better than interfering with the garage exits. :D @ludolphus @jws
[Deleted]
@skematica At least you can plan for the public garages. In our city, regulation requires each new building to bring its own parking (mostly below street level), so there's exits every 5-10 meters in some streets :-(
/@ludolphus @jws @unixb0y
@skematica yeah 😳😳😳
In Darmstadt, where my Uni is actually 2 people died last week after being involved in crashes with cars / trucks 😕
// @schmidt_fu @ludolphus @jws
[Deleted]
[Deleted]
@skematica Yeah, that's true. For example in germany we have a lot of roundabouts and often people when exiting it, only watch in front of them so if you're on the outside with your bike you have to make sure you're not ran over
Esp. they don't indicate...
[Deleted]
@skematica Yeah, sure. For example bike messengers often take huge risks. But that's not the majority of bike riders and even if you do, you're most probably not hurting anybody, at most you're going to hurt / kill yourself.. @schmidt_fu @ludolphus @jws
@jws Yeah, that's a pity... :-/
Same here, I actually wear a helmet for a few years now and I'm pretty glad I have it 😅
I ride my bike very, very frequently.. At least 1km twice a day, every day, year round.
Plus kilometers of road bike in summer 😉
@unixb0y Oh, my! I hope you're OK now!

I shouldn't have posted that article earlier today...
@schmidt_fu I just read it :o
@unixb0y hope the car has a huge dent now?
@blumenkraft It hit me sideways so a scratch at most :-/
If the bike wasn’t broken I’d have ripped off his mirror (if he doesn’t use it anyways right 😉) or so 😅😅