The maintainer of a GitHub repo I starred years ago just opened an issue and tagged every single user who starred it, meaning I just got about 25 emails all at once notifying me about every comment made in the thread. At 2 am.
@sam @caff said it best. Image [cl.ly]
cookie jar (i)
@sam Huh. I'd think it's weird, but with threaded email, it's one swipe and bye-bye. No big deal. Surprised at such strong reactions. @caff
@jws Most of my emails don't notify me, since my inbox is a crowded wasteland I haven't cleaned up yet, but Github issues are one I keep notifications on for, since they're typically important, so my phone had an aneurism until I dealt with the thing @sam
I'm fine with notification emails if I'm explicitly tagged in an issue, but I wish that getting tagged in an issue didn't automatically subscribe me to every update from said issue. // @sam @jws
@caff Ah, ouch. That's annoying. And not enough mail clients support a "mute thread" option.
// @sam
@sam so why'd they do it?
@33MHz Because they finally found a solution worse than Google Groups for open source software discussion. ;) @sam
@33MHz Because I like going off at a tangent, this is a nice opener to: Do you have any plans for an ADN-Broadcast-like by-subscription mass notification, er… thing?

// @sam @caff @jws
@bazbt3 No plans, no. They had a team that could support first-party apps on major platforms, and I can't do that at this point. Developers could easily build something with notifications and such for a channel type. Or it could happen one day. :)
@33MHz A good and full answer, thanks, I like it. Hope is good. :)

Think of the children!

@bazbt3 I liked the idea of Broadcast but I never got much use out of it. What was your experience like? @33MHz @jws @sam @caff
@josephaleo Positive! I had a couple of channels, most popular was for the weekly #WednesdayChallenge single post short story. It was more comfortable alerting subscribers with the one post rather than initiating multiple swarms. :) @33MHz @jws @sam @caff
@josephaleo A lot of semi-prominent comic artists and cartoonists used them to send updates to folks. A lot of Patreon-backed artists.