It is time to contemplate replacing Ye Olde iMac. A Mini perhaps?
@mandy Maybe get a used decent performance iMac? I would look for those first. Those Minis aren't as performance friendly IMO.
@joe I was thinking that displays are always getting better so having it built in was unhelpful for such an old machine.

I am not sure I need much performance for what I do and was looking over the refurbished M1 Minis.
@mandy @joe the weird thing about displays is that the one you get with an iMac is almost certainly going to be better than the LG UltraFine you'd use with a Mac mini, and probably cheaper as a combo.

What's your current monitor?
@adiabatic I have a 2009 iMac. Mr TDH gave me a ViewSonic that has excellent height adjustment so I would it use with a Mini and sometimes my work laptop. If I keep another Mac as long as I have kept the iMac, it would be nice to upgrade the monitor.
/@joe
@mandy @joe https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUB2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display seems to be popular among the Mac Mini and clamshell-MBP set. The ATP hosts say it's _fiiiiine_ (as in adequate), but they grumble about the uneven lighting sometimes.
[Deleted]
@mandy @joe The obvious options:

- Refurb M1 Mac mini ($?)+ new monitor
- (Refurb?) 24" M1 iMac w/USB-A too ($1500+?)
- Msomething 27" iMac when it comes out ($?)

In any case, you'd keep your existing monitor. More monitors = more fun.
@adiabatic I was thinking just the monitor I have and one of those little portable ones - how great that would be to use when I am sitting at a folding table to program a machine!
/@joe
@mandy Having more momitors to play with is always ideal. I have three myself and using them as supporting monitors. I enjoy the ViewSonic brand you have since they're good.

@adiabatic
@mandy I hear that the cooling's better and quieter if you get the fancier M1 iMac instead of the lower-specced M1 iMac.

source: https://atp.fm/ , someone wrote in a while back