This Mexican coffee required a finer grind.
@jacobrealo how do you think about Robusta.
@blumenkraft considered lower quality on the whole compared to Arabica. Not had one myself.
@jacobrealo i recently bought this Robusta/Arabica mix. i really like it a lot. :)
it has one problem though when i grind it, it's electrostatically bound to the tank (plastic) of my grinding machine. that's a little weird. but not if i grind it very fine.
@blumenkraft @jacobrealo That static problem has always happened here with a plastic container. It even happens a little bit with the glass container. Usually I see the coffee clinging to the grinding parts by static when I take it apart.
@mandy seems normal to me. When you get a new coffee you are supposed to take a little and grind it. This is a purge so you don’t have fines from other coffee getting in. You can buy Grindz by Urnex to clean a grinder.
/@blumenkraft
@mandy is there a trick to minimalize that? // @jacobrealo
@blumenkraft @jacobrealo Only change to a glass container I guess, it is a little better. I assume metal would not be a cure either.
@jacobrealo yeah, the tapping thing is what i do too. i'll try waiting a bit tomorrow, see if this helps. will report tomorrow. :)
// @mandy
cookie jar (i)
@jacobrealo @mandy ok, i waited like 20 minutes after grinding and it made a difference indeed. the static wears off. \o/
@blumenkraft @jacobrealo life teaches patience yet again. I had not thought about just waiting!
@mandy @jacobrealo BTW, Jacob, thanks so much for sharing that video. one can never learn enough, right?
@blumenkraft American roasters in the early 1900s would make blends with Robustas. Since the quality was considered bad, it lead to roasters putting “100% Arabica” on packing.
@blumenkraft Robusta was used to help keep the coffee at cheap as possible.
@jacobrealo have you ever had a problem with electrostatic grind? what's your grinder?
@blumenkraft I’m using a Baratza Encore. Baratza just got acquired by Bareville. This is a entry level electric grinder. Not sure about the thing you are describing.
cookie jar (i)
@jacobrealo will show you what i mean tomorrow when i make a coffee :)
@jacobrealo that's fraud. :) we had this talk about butter and margarine this morning. LOL
@blumenkraft not a issue today because most coffee consumed is Arabica.