So at my job, I’m going to be using Windows for the first time in a long, long while. Any recs on must-have Windows apps, tweaks, hacks?
@hisaac will they let you install anything like Cygnus? Else learn PowerShell which is built in.
@prometheus I don't start the job until April, so I don't know their restrictions. I sure hope they're permissive.

Also, did you mean Cygwin [www.cygwin.com]?
@hisaac yes Cygwin. Can you tell it's been a while since I last used it?
@prometheus The Win 10 Linux subsystem looks more convenient and less limited than Cygwin. Not been on that platform in a long time though. @hisaac
@jws I've heard some mixed reviews, but I do plan to check it out. @prometheus
@33MHz Oh man, I forgot about Winamp. It's been so long!
@hisaac babun is a variant of cygwin but is long overdue for an update. Instead of winamp I'd suggest aimp. I'd also suggest cmder or conemu. Aside from that depends on what you're looking at and what version of windows.
@EchoDunk It'll be Windows 10 I believe. Gonna be using it for front-end web development and C# .NET stuff. Thanks for the suggestions!
@EchoDunk Oh yeah, I hear good things about ConEmu! @hisaac
@jws conemu is great too, and if you try cmder you might enjoy their tweaks to conemu
@EchoDunk Do you still need Putty for ssh? Chocolatey [chocolatey.org] also looks handy but postdates my Windows usage. @hisaac
@jws I like using a fork known as KiTTY. But with babun putty is fine too.
@hisaac Zeal docs browser, Kolibri launcher, AutoHotkey for UI scripting, probably more stuff if I actually still used Windows. ;)
@hisaac I suggest shutting off telemetry and all related services to cut back on any bandwidth taxing. As for an editor, atom is alright and sublimtext is great if you ignore the nagging to buy it.
@cirrus the updates aren't so bad as much as if you're unregistered the software nags you to buy it.