You know another person who's popping champagnes and doing flips on this potential TikTok ban?

Mark Zuckerberg.

Why? Because he's ever closer to total dominance of the social web and people still don't realize it.
Don't believe me? He's got the conversation, photos, and messaging spaces locked up with the possibility of owning the top Fediverse instance and he would do the final step (assuming if the ban holds up) into near control of video.

Be very afraid...
@joe as long as he doesn't have pnut, I'm not too concerned. Centralized social media (that includes the fediverse) doesn't seem like something that's growing. But also, what's his stake in discord?
[Deleted]
@igmp_join WhatsApp is still the dominant messaging service especially in most of Europe, Central America, and South America.

We're heading towards a end of an era in social media with all of these moves and we need to be ready for it.
@joe https://www.statista.com/statistics/258749/most-popular-global-mobile-messenger-apps/
yeah that's a lot more stacked to zuck than I thought. but zuck is already dominant in that space, removing tiktok isn't a change.
@igmp_join Zuck has yet to crack the video space despite his company's best efforts and it took significant lobbying spending in Washington to potentially fulfill that goal.