To my american friends: I have an exit sign here that I "fixed" by removing the 110V power supply circuit (which outputs 10V) and wiring in a 220V power brick that outputs 9V. All good so far. It even charges the backup battery which was dead when I got it
Now the question: when I push the button, the light gets dimmer so I think it then runs from battery. However if I fully unplug the unit, it doesn't light up at all. Is this normal?
Does it need to maintain ground connection or something like that?
maybe @33MHz know this 😂
@unixb0y Doesn't make sense to me! It has a battery so it can light up when power is out. You're saying, if you plug it in, the light turns on. If you then hit a switch it gets dimmer? But if it's not plugged in you can't light it up no matter what. 🤔
@33MHz if i click the test button the light gets dimmer. is it normal? i assumed that this could be because in that moment it switches to battery power.
@unixb0y yeah, that's the case. If you hold it down it should stay (dim I would guess) on the battery while you hold it down.
@33MHz oh yes that actually works. So if I keep the button pressed while unplugging the wall adapter, it stays on (a bit dimly). Then releasing it makes it stay on.
But in the case of a power outage, there's nobody to keep that button right xD
@unixb0y I have never worked with an exit sign before, but you would probably still have a ground connection during a power outage, right? We don’t unplug signs when the power is out. Just speculating.