why are some people ambitious while others are not?
I guess we'll never find out
@caliban87 Seems like a cultural thing to me. My parents indoctrinated sociopathic workaholism, and I embraced it. It has exhibited itself in me as ambitious.
@33MHz Italy is very laidback and my parents are some of the least ambitious people I've ever met, but I am almost neurotic when it comes to most of my ambitions
@caliban87 but you rebound away from your parents' limited ambitions, yah?
@33MHz yes, which is my counterpoint against the idea that parents and friend group socialization are what determines how much ambition a person has
@caliban87 but, an anti-culture is still a culture. Certainly there must be some natural proclivities to ambition as well, of course.
@caliban87 but my in-laws are suuuuuper laid back, love eating and talking as primary americana, and I've grown into it over the last decade.
@Caliban87 nearly-tautologically-true answer: there's gotta be some sort of balancing selection pressure(s), but I'm not sure what they are. You'd think selection would be way stronger in favor of type-A personalities
@adiabatic this is my theory too. I think that the environment sets the expectations surrounding achievement and one's degree of agency, but type-A personality is the primary ingredient. Of course, ambition ≠ achievement