Island is among the fastest companies to reach unicorn status
https://www.techradar.com/news/this-browser-youve-never-heard-of-is-now-worth-a-billion-dollars
» Comments [news.ycombinator.com]
Wow, I love the idea of a business-focused browser, but I wish it were open source and a full bottom-up rewrite of a browser. Not just another Chromium rebrand! Garsh.
[Deleted]
@kabuku "Island"'s $1B valuation is in the right direction! But then my impression is it will end up being "Chromium For Active Directory" -_-
[Deleted]
@33MHz what does business-focused mean? I haven’t heard that term before.
@mandy they mean can guarantee restrictions, and features. I.e. they can limit copy-paste from active directory.
@mandy although I wish it meant something more like defining a limited html/js target that businesses can target and guarantee functionality.
@mandy I wish it were a platform mindset instead of a corporate monitoring mindset.
@33MHz Hmm. I don’t think I understand the meaning at all.
“Home” versus “business” sometimes means more productive features or a pricier feature set.
In my work we look for “industrial,” like the device is rugged, mounts on DIN rail, speaks CIP, etc.
@mandy I think the browser is a B2B browser, not for end-users per se. I was hoping their business model was as a platform, by being a general-purpose browser, but it's trying to sell to massive corporations, not Everyone.
@mandy I think they're going to try to sell to $B corporations as Enterprise packages, instead of being targettable and usable by everyone.
@33MHz unfortunately the economics for a new, from the ground-up browser for the masses doesn't seem to work.

Heck, if Microsoft, that has the money and resources, went to the Chromium project for their browser...

And Firefox is very meh currently
@evefavretto yeah, although for MS it's a strategic decision to dump more into Chromium, I assume. A new actor with magic money could invest R&D, but I'm also dreaming that this would be a very strict spec, not the crazy growing behemoth that Google pushes
@evefavretto The practicality would be that this new browser would support a strict spec, that developers could easily target, that would work in Chromium, but could be used, say, on embedded devices, running this light, strict browser.
@33MHz browsers are complex beasts. I would love to see a new engine around, but I don't think many companies can afford the development expense, and the few ones that can are either already doing it or don't have a good reason to.
@evefavretto Limit the scope so that the development could happen ground-up.
@evefavretto Reliable, industrial browser like @mandy knows from her work.
@33MHz @mandy Opera was quite big in that niche (pretty much anything with a CPU had a variant of Opera), but nowadays nobody really cares (and their browser is also Chromium-based)
@33MHz @mandy I think you need more of an industrial browser *ENGINE*, that meet all of those goals and is modular.

KaiOS, for example, got stuck with an ancient version of Gecko for quite a few years...