My main computer has been a MacBook Air for the last 10 years. You know what I've noticed? The aftermarket for the few user-servicable components is almost non-existent. The only third-party SSD is by OWC (which sucks) and the batteries are OEM.
Times really have changed, and I'm not sure if Apple had anything to do with it. Shouldn't I be able to *upgrade* things instead of merely replacing them?
[Deleted]
@ryb "ultrabooks" indeed.
@33MHz To be clear I'm not talking about the lack of upgradability in the product (that's a problem) but that nobody seems to be interested in making improved parts for the bits that *are* replacable. Like faster SSDs or better batteries. The 90s had this.
@ryb yeah, I think the product has been squeezed from every side against those parts.
@ryb @33MHz I think the 90s had more bang for your buck in upgrades for speed. More recently, it seems like the only speed upgrades worth bothering with (that don't require a mobo swap) was the HDD→SSD transition, and video cards for gamers.
@adiabatic @ryb yes, agreed, for sure. RAM was *such* an issue. But I remember every little upgrade (or big upgrade), everything would significantly improve. Every upgrade made something else a big bottleneck. RAM, CPU, HDD, video card, even sound card…