After a year long programming break I have the opportunity to work on a cool iOS project, that’s nice. But I felt like I needed to get my skills up to date. Sean Allen’s course on Teachable did exactly that. I’m ready now! 🎉 /@thedan84
@ericd great! Hope you enjoy programming again. I tend to take month-long breaks from hobby hacking two or three times a year, recently. A conscious year-long break of something would be quite interesting.
@33MHz It's a bit intimidating after a year (I'm currently reading about what's changed in iOS, Swift, Xcode, etc), but motivation is there, and indeed I hope I enjoy it again. Trying to get into the right mindset...
@ericd Awesome! The course really is great. What kind of project are you working on now?
@thedan84 A dedicated audio player with sound visualization. The course helped me getting up to date regarding making an iOS app. Now I’m studying audio analysis (FFT, power, etc) and making animations from it with CoreGraphics. Tips are welcomed. 😆
@ericd As soon as I know what all that means. 😅
Core Graphics and animations aren't my strong suit unfortunately. Maybe Core Animation might already do the trick?
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/quartzcore
@thedan84 Ideally I would learn how to make animated waveforms such as these. There’s a long way to go, for sure... but I guess it should be doable.
cookie jar (i)
@ericd Wouldn’t even know where to start. 😅 It’s definitely possible to build something like this but this is far beyond my knowledge. I’m more of a utility app kinda guy.
cookie jar (l)

@ericd Apparently this comes with a playground for Core Graphics. Maybe this helps with the start? https://www.hackingwithswift.com/playgrounds And you can download the Swift Playgrounds app (which was only available on iPad up until now) for macOS to run it.…

Read on Longpo.st

@thedan84 Swift Playgrounds are a bit tough on my CPU (MBP 2012) but this was a fun exercise! Also I said CoreGraphics but I was thinking CoreAnimation. Ideally I would use shaders (OpenGL or Metal) but I know nothing about it and it looks hard to learn.