bit.ly/pl-views share how "real" you think programming languages are. #strangeloop
@igmp_join it's leading to try to coerce implicit bias.
@33MHz she's already empirically shown that many have an explicit bias and therefore is asking the question to determine what the most common biases are and then customize her teaching to address those. There is some bias to her evidence because loud wins.
@igmp_join I think her question is bad, and people are responding to the question she means, which is "what is your tribe?". Devs are very familiar with the war.
@igmp_join "is this a programming language?" has an answer based on a definition. "How much?"...
@33MHz she's going and saying that Excel, spreadsheets, are a programming language. And people are saying, "what, no it isn't". This is her response to that.
@igmp_join if it's true knitting and running don't have professionalism police like programming does, I'd posit it's b/c they're hardly feasible jobs. Tribal responders are defending their career.
@igmp_join It's been hightened by high-visibility mistakes in the industry prompting people to suggest there be licenses like for architecture or lawyers.

The tools have become easy but the responsibility is all across the board, in addition.
@igmp_join I think you can program in Excel, but it's not easy, and the scope often outgrows Excel's required complexity. That's the practical answer. Technically, OK? Is a macro or a formula always programming? Is tying a knot always knitting?
@igmp_join identity in a group is what she's fighting. Running down the street doesn't make you "a runner". To her point, thankfully, you can identify yourself as "a runner" just by saying it and nobody will argue with you.