Current state....
cookie jar (i)
@MrFresh Ooh, so jealous. Love building Lego. What is it?
@cano @formfireglass @bayprogrammer @paulyhedral Formula 1 racing goodness! Always been a fan of watching it
cookie jar (i)
@MrFresh Awesome. Always prefer F1 to Nascar style. I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix 3x. Got to see Michael Andretti win his first. Fun stuff. @paulyhedral @bayprogrammer @cano
@formfireglass Whaaaa? Nice! Yes I prefer F1 as well. Also SCCA. @cano @bayprogrammer @paulyhedral
@MrFresh I don't enjoy people going in circles. And I love movies with a good car chase. @paulyhedral @bayprogrammer @cano
@MrFresh Formula 1!! Awesome!! I really like that kit. 🏎🏁 πŸ‘ @paulyhedral @bayprogrammer @formfireglass
@sleepnclass Ta-da! One from the Lego Speed Champions seriesβœ¨πŸ˜‚
@MrFresh Oh, can't wait to see what it is! #lego #teamminifig
@cano πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½
@cano @MrFresh Yeah, like the Lego Minifig Book I had to immediately buy in the store for, erm, er, *my son* of course!
@der_Jeff That sounds like an avalanche of LEGO bricks. To be sure, our 1yo girl is very interested in LEGOs, despite being too young to handle them.
/@cano @MrFresh
@der_Jeff Sexist part aside, you are way more likely to get LEGOs for a boy than for a girl. Let me peruse this chance:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5371a0bfe4b05dd13820776b/t/5372d700e4b0a52017d86d34/1400035147340/1981+Lego+Ad
@cano @MrFresh
@der_Jeff Strange enough, LEGO *do* target their products towards girls, but insist on coloring them pink first.
/ @cano @MrFresh
@schmidt_fu And I hate this. Hardly anything should be colored pink. 😬 /@MrFresh @cano @der_Jeff
@formfireglass Yeah, pink stinks! As a father of a 1.5yo girl I've seen more pink in the last year than in the whole of my previous life, and it's horrible! Luckily my wife thinks the same, and we've got Other Colors as well :-)
@der_Jeff @cano @MrFresh
@schmidt_fu We did a lot of yellow, green, lavender and baby blue. With twins, I needed variety. I would buy the same outfit, 2 different colors. Never worn on the same day. Neither girl much into pink until late teens. @MrFresh @cano @der_Jeff
@formfireglass First we had a real shortage, because nobody seems to bother non-gendered new-born clothes here (not even white!). Meanwhile we use a lot of her brothers clothes, and violet, green, black, white or LEGO-colored ;-)
@der_Jeff @cano @MrFresh
@schmidt_fu Ah, handmedowns arealways good. Who cares at that age anyway? They just spit up on it. @MrFresh @cano @der_Jeff
@formfireglass Yes, and when they didn't ruin their clothes on a given day, they didn't get to play.
@der_Jeff @cano @MrFresh
@der_Jeff @cano @schmidt_fu Lego and I go way back ... Can't remember a toy that encompassed so much in the way of imagination, fun, creativity, etc
@der_Jeff Exactly!! And yes, the agony of de feet!πŸ˜‚@cano @schmidt_fu
@der_Jeff I had multiple sets as a kid. Here's one (I really did do it 5000 times) @cano @schmidt_fu @MrFresh
cookie jar (i)
@MrFresh I was excited that they had windows, and doors that move. And those bizarre early windshields. @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @cano
@formfireglass Those two things alone, upped the realism and playability! @cano @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu
@MrFresh And I hated those crisscross fence pieces. Precursor to my modern sensibilities? @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @cano
@MrFresh Imagine this with those little yellow crisscross fences. 🀣 @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @cano
cookie jar (i)
@formfireglass Beautiful house, Amy! I can see why it's one of your favorite designs! But, yeah, glad you didn't go with the yellow fence things...lol. @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @MrFresh
@cano Thank you. Many of my houses can be found at starr-design.com if it interests you. @MrFresh @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu
@formfireglass Oh, I definitely am going to check out your designs! Thank you for sharing! 🏠 :) @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @MrFresh
@formfireglass Omg! I had this same hospital kit! Oh, the memories...good times. 5000 times...so great! πŸ₯😊 @MrFresh @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff
@cano It was fun. But there weren't that many kits. I built the few we had over and over. (Not like we could leave it out for long anyway – had to put everything back into a metal toolbox we had) @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu @MrFresh
@formfireglass Yeah, when I was a kid we mostly just got the general sets and used our imagination to create anything we dreamed up. It was different than today and, in a way, so much funner. 😊 @MrFresh @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff
@cano Definitely more creative. But I really enjoy following directions. ;) @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu @MrFresh
@formfireglass @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @cano You should see the creations done from scratch ...with no directions...Like Cano said, I've built my own MOCs but wow....http://www.moc-pages.com
@MrFresh They are seriously amazing. Such a wide array of pieces to use, I imagine anything can be done. So cool. @cano @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu
@formfireglass I think I built every set after the directions once, then destroy it the moment I needed the parts for something else. Most of the time, I followed the bricks to see what they were building organically :-)
/@MrFresh @der_Jeff @cano
@schmidt_fu We did build all sorts of other things in between, but I enjoy parameters. That's why I ended in architecture. @MrFresh @cano @der_Jeff
@formfireglass I can see the correlation from Lego to where u are now. @der_Jeff @cano @schmidt_fu
@MrFresh Yeah, I'm equally left and right-brained which leads to all sorts of quirky. @schmidt_fu @cano @der_Jeff
@formfireglass LOL..ditto <-- systems engineer/musician @der_Jeff @cano @schmidt_fu
@MrFresh What are you using for your music? MrGlass has synths and eurorack. He's just playing though. @schmidt_fu @cano @der_Jeff
@cano So we got to enjoy that through the kids (we picked up lots of sets years before they were born, but used them as an excuse). @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @MrFresh
@der_Jeff Ha. (I have weird toy background – bc Dad worked for Mattel, he really limited the amount of toys – but they were all really good) @schmidt_fu @cano @MrFresh
@der_Jeff On the other hand, we had crappy bikes and skateboards. Penny board before they were cool. @schmidt_fu @cano @MrFresh
@formfireglass my fave bike was a yellow Schwinn with a banana seat. skateboard was one of the first made with polyurethane wheels. I lived on a smooth street lined with Maple trees...lots of boarding, daily! @cano @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff
@MrFresh Ah, my brother and I shared a board. I have no idea what my bike was. Never a big biker. Still not, though we have 3 nice ones in the garage. @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu @cano
@formfireglass I used cycle a lot, but yea, ditto on the garage...my kids never got into it, as not many kids grew up close by in our quiet neighborhood. #changingtimes @cano @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff
@formfireglass I never had a board nor inline skates, but I was pretty versatile on my bike. Living in a place as flat as a LEGO plate, cycling was the natural thing to do, and I kept it when we moved to a more "downhill" place.
@cano @der_Jeff @MrFresh
@schmidt_fu Nice. It's not a pretty site when small twigs from a Maple tree gets under skateboard polyurethane wheels and brings the board to a dead stop....throwing you from it! @der_Jeff @cano @formfireglass
@MrFresh MrGlass broke his wrist in his late 30s, showing DD2 skateboarding. Hit a rock and was thrown. Dr said to quit it. ;) @schmidt_fu @cano @der_Jeff
@formfireglass Wait, before I get caught lying, I *do* have a waveboard in the cupboard, waiting for better times. I got it when I still had actual leisure time before night.
/ @der_Jeff @cano @MrFresh
@formfireglass Ouch ouch ouch! I suffered a knot or two on the forehead, but... @der_Jeff @cano @schmidt_fu
@formfireglass One word - Hot Wheels! I was already 6 when the first ones were released, so you already know...#veryfondmemories @cano @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff
@MrFresh Yes! And those tracks were great to smack my brother with. Man, did they sting. ;) @schmidt_fu @der_Jeff @cano
@formfireglass Hate to admit it, but I got my fair share (maybe unfair) of whoopings with those tracks πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ @cano @der_Jeff @schmidt_fu
@MrFresh Aww the nostalgy! I had lego kits from my earliest childhood (and Duplo sets before that), as had my brothers. We still had many plain bricks around, but nowadays they seem to be the rarest parts ironically :-(
/@cano @der_Jeff
@schmidt_fu Good nostalgia indeed! I mostly like to build space-themed sets or models. Good stuff ✨@der_Jeff @cano
@der_Jeff Plenty of good ones out there. Even small polybags you can get for under $5 USD. Here's a nice coffee table book I just spied on Instagram....phenomenal photography. @cano @schmidt_fu
cookie jar (i)
@der_Jeff LOL I've yet to see Rogue One but I want to!@cano @schmidt_fu
@der_Jeff I heard that, in so many words.... @cano @schmidt_fu