Did my third donation this year. Right after #FreeBSD and #OpenBSD I spend some money to #Mozilla for creating my favourite browser!
[Deleted]
@der_Jeff Oh, hah, it also works here if “spend on” rather than “spend to”, so a smaller and easier mess-up of mismatching the preposition used with a phrasal verb.
// @lechindianer
[Deleted]
@der_Jeff No, totally. I’m saying I’m pretty sure I didn’t even hiccup reading it because my brain rewrote “to” to “on” and it worked. So your jumping to IDing a false friend was surprising and instructive. :)
// @lechindianer
@lechindianer The tense is weirder. I’d expect a future or past. After…I’ll spend or be spending or or After…I spent.
// @der_Jeff
@der_Jeff Actually gotta be past based on “did”. Absent that, present progressive “I’m spending” would also work, but not bare present.
// @lechindianer
[Deleted]
@der_Jeff Hah! Yeah. There’s a big gap between comprehensible language and natural language.
// @lechindianer
@lechindianer @der_Jeff And of course natural command of written language is a separate skill from spoken, as any comments thread on a popular press article should confirm. ;)
[Deleted]
@der_Jeff 👍🏽 I’m glad you did, because now I know to watch out for „spenden” too!
// @lechindianer