All hacked out after the #hackathon. I woke up at quarter past six, so got to be one of the first to read the neews about WPA2 and start worrying.
@mcdemarco that's an impressive failure. Leaves a lot of scrambling, I'm sure. Phones being the hardest to contend with, I think.
@33MHz Apple hasn't even said anything yet, despite six weeks' warning, but the real problem is sure to be old Android devices (where old means > 1 year).
@mcdemarco @33MHz If not at all in some cases with older Android and iOS devices. Remember the iPhones 5 and 5C aren't getting updates anymore for example.
@joe Apple continues iOS security updates for about 5 years (which may mean no more 5c; I'm not sure about that one). OS updates may be cut off sooner. That's about five times as long as is typical for Android. Maybe this will be Google's WANNACRY...
@mcdemarco Probably, and that's what Apple and Android OEMs get for planned obsolescence on all of their phones. I know some people go with two or three year old phones these days or devices with two or three year old OSes. Not good either way.
@joe Apple isn't cutting people off that soon. It's about 5 years for iOS, which is forever compared to Android phones abandoned after 1 year. @olszowka recently had the issue that the carrier cut off his 4S (thait is, all 4G to his 4s) before Apple had.
@mcdemarco @olszowka I see all of that in terms of their PR. although realistically, it's basically three major OS years before it experiences sluggish software. I used to have a 5 for 4 years and it basically was mostly unusable once I got to iOS 9.
@joe You don't have to update the OS as long as the company provides security updates (and if you're crazy, even if they don't). Look at all the people still on XP. And they can't make your old hardware as fast as new hardware. It's not all malice.
@mcdemarco You do have a good point, plus there's a ton of payments being made to companies to hold onto the older software. Mostly governments and businesses.
@joe One should distinguish between security updates (which go on a long time with Apple and MS) vs. doing OS revisions on old hardware, which isn't really their problem. That Android phones cut off both only confuses the bigger security update issue.
@mcdemarco Very much true, which is why I'm hoping for Project Treble to succeed in the long term. May not be a full solution but it's probably the best they got to address that.
@33MHz And, of course, the Internet of Stunningly-Insecure-In-Their-Own-Right-All-WiFi-Issues-Aside Things...