@keage or other Japan residents: I have a few questions about travel and phones. Would appreciate some guidance!
@thedoctor Maybe I can help you. What do you want to know?
@sszk Thanks! Is it really impossible for non-residents to get a Japanese phone number? Tried signing up but carrier wants me to show JP passport. I've only seen data SIMs. What carrier has reliable service?
@thedoctor As far as I know, you can't get a phone number without a proof of address in Japan in order to prevent scam calls. Docomo is known for its area coverage, but the advantage is not so big. I don't know much about short stays.
@sszk annoying for travelers but makes sense. When traveling on a train, are there specific preparations if I need to bring a checked bag? I know about the importance of seat reservations.
@thedoctor For bullet trains, if you want to put your luggage in a specific space behind the rearmost seats of each car, you need to make reservation for it. Otherwise I don't think any specific preparation is required.
@sszk good to know - thanks! Lastly, any recommendations for a data plan while in Japan?
@thedoctor As I personally use IIJmio and am satisfied with their stability, their service for travelers should be an option. https://tr.iijmio.jp/?lang=en
@sszk thanks for all your travel tips!
You can put your suitcases between seats or on an overhead shelf. But basically, you cannot check your luggage on a Japanese train.