Health insurance really needs to be unbundled from work/jobs. I guess what I'd like more, is if there were competing bundles. Like, ok, your employer is one risk bucket that can negotiate rates. What about my church? Can we have arbitrary groups?
@33MHz that'd be an improvement
@33MHz I guess that it is only in the US that health care is treated that way.
@heluecht I'm super super happy with the safety net, but now that I have a job my insurance is bad and we found out our pediatrician isn't covered by the insurance. We can't really have different insurance, so we have to have a new doctor (or pay $$$).
@33MHz that's what I meant. If I'm sick or need medical help, I go to the doctor of my choice. And after that I don't have to pay anything, I don't even see a bill. This would be the case even if I were unemployed.
@heluecht you don't have any concept of "in network vs out of network" doctors for your insurance? Or anyone in the country who is employed as a doctor can service you and insurance will pay for it?
@33MHz sure. The insurance is a so called "statutory health insurance" and it covers every visit to a doctor of my choice.
@heluecht for any insurance to pay for it here, I can go to any doctor who is covered by whatever insurance I have. If I'm unemployed, I don't see a bill if my doctor accepts Medicaid (but I didn't come across a dr who didn't).