Very seriously starting to consider buying a house in Japan. I can totally see myself living there for the foreseeable future!
@Streakmachine And the earthquakes?
@habanero That is an issue and one I’ll struggle with. Been through two tremors over the years, so I’ll definitely try my best to get a modern house with earthquake countermeasures. As far as that’s possible, of course.
@Streakmachine I wonder if there’s also earthquake insurance in Japan? 🤔
@habanero Hm. That’s a really good question. I’ll have to investigate!
@Streakmachine Really interested to see what you find out!
@habanero @Streakmachine There is; it’s advertised on TV all the time. It might be hard to get for an older house.
@cgiffard @Streakmachine Hey thanks for letting me know.
@cgiffard @habanero Late to the show, but yep; I found it too. Don’t check TV in Japan much anymore but I asked around and Christopher is absolutely correct.
@Streakmachine now I’m wondering if they also need flight insurance. Seems they’ve had a bit of a problem with airline collisions recently. 😟
@Streakmachine my son fully intends to live & work in Japan.
He started Japanese studies at Oxford Brookes Uni last September, 4 years, 3rd year in Japan.
Nowhere is perfect but his life would be 100x better than in UK

Tailed by: 33MHz

@Andrew Not a bad ambition. There are certainly many interesting aspects to life in Japan. Paradoxically I would enjoy the countryside the most, with the smaller communities. Not sure how the rest of the family would like it, but that’s another story.
@Streakmachine I’m so glad to hear that! 👍 Of course there are many problems that have to be solved in this country you know, but I still believe we can have a hope that we can make a better place I’m this country in future.
@keage No country is without its faults and problems, that’s just humanity and how our planet works. 🙂

All I know is that there is a good chance of happiness, not only for me but for the rest of the family as well. Which is very important.
@Streakmachine Are you living in Japan now?
@cgiffard Long time, no see! 😃

I’m still up here in the cold and snowy northern parts of Europe, sadly. Miss the temperatures in Japan.

I am quite tempted to try to find a house in the semi-rural areas of 関西, close-ish to 大阪.