This week is off to a very bad start. I was just reached by the news that Leiji Matsumoto has passed away…
@Streakmachine The Galaxy Express 999
Will take you on a journey
A never ending journey
A journey to the stars

He was one of the greatest sci-fi creators of our time. RIP.
@keage I completely agree!

While I didn’t watch any of his more famous works until adult age, I did grow up with SFθ₯ΏιŠθ¨˜γ‚Ήγ‚ΏγƒΌγ‚Έγƒ³γ‚¬γƒΌ, and that started off my love of Japan. I wouldn’t be who I am today without his works, that I know for sure!
@Streakmachine Wow, that’s a nice episode. And I didn’t know that SF θ₯ΏιŠθ¨˜γ‚Ήγ‚ΏγƒΌγ‚Έγƒ³γ‚¬γƒΌ was aired in Sweden! When was that?
@keage I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think it was ever on broadcast TV.

But with the huge boom in VHS and video rental in the early 1980s, there was a demand for more things to watch, and they fully dubbed 40 of the 72 episodes.
@Streakmachine That’s an interesting adoption of Starzinger in Sweden! I found a Swedish dubbed version on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MY7KyxUkxMY
@keage Sorry for the late answer to this. Was out with high fever last week.
@keage Yes, the voices I remember from childhood. I strongly suspect that there was both few quality checks, as well as multiple translators working on the script. Several times they mix up phrases and there’s a lack of consistency between episodes.