Tech recruiting is absolutely nuts this year. I've sent out 140-150 applications so far (started in Jan, so late in the cycle). Top 10 school, resume approved by an acquaintance at Microsoft, and prior internship experience. Only one interview so far. Wild
@Caliban87 Back in '09, I sent 250 applications and got 2 responses, 1 interview. Was frustrating when I would put effort into the application vs just submitting a form and answering 75 personality questions at Best Buy.
@Caliban87 overall felt really bad. But today shold be different, and networking is king ofc.
@33MHz Update: I got an offer by a crappy gov contractor but didn't accept. I finally have a few 1st round interviews lined up for next week, but so far only got through the final round with an Italian startup (and I want a US salary)
@33MHz I think the problem is entry-level oversaturation. The CS major may be too popular these days. A lot of SWE internship listings on LinkedIn show over 1000 applicants, sometimes more than 2000 for big tech
@33MHz In the end I managed to get some solid internship offers, including from a YC startup, a research lab at [MIT/CMU/Stanford], and a unicorn, but it was an insane grind. My grades took a hit as a direct result. I don't see the market improving either
@caliban87 weeeell, big tech is overrated. I assume. I think it's probably easy to stay employed, and software development is boring everywhere.