pnut tech chat
Public chat room discussing all things tech related.

Glued blessings
Clubbies

Shiny is better.

[matrix] <morganmcmillian:beeper.com> @33MHz yeah I agree, it would be better if there were an official govt instance where official accounts can be followed. Especially useful for emergency services.
Personally just want gov't to have their own infra, their own "platform", that anyone can see. The idea of replying to the potus. I don't really care, of course. Just my opinion.
Gross 😆
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/2/24119353/joe-biden-threads-mastodon-activitypub-fediverse
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> As they have proven themselves time and time again to do as they promise
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> And yep will they have enough orders to cover to minimum order needed to start producing them i highly doubt it the only eink company id trust is lightphone inc.
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> Correct i gave up on that stuff and stick to my safe iPhone
If ever. There is no guarantee they’ll actually ship the thing or enough devices to cover the orders.
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> August 2027 minimum
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> Same been burned way to many times id add at least 3 years onto that timeframe minimum
I’ve been burned too many times on these crowdfunded devices.
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> They claim by august of this year too
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-minimal-phone-first-e-ink-qwerty-phone
Yeah that did feel incomplete.
>> fediverse accounts will have a difficult time getting heard over the roar of millions more Threads accounts, but differences between how the two services operate will likely make it even harder.

It's just not my favorite perspective on network health? yeah, spam will be an issue. But people wanting their fediverse to be a pruned and trimmed garden doesn't match to me with a federated, open protocol; that, to me, means spam and tools to empower users, choose what they want. It's like "what is a weed?" -- it's whatever you don't want. On App.net, we had a lot of issues with "spam" getting in the way of the global feed, but some of it was just vietnamese users.

>> disparity of scale shifts governance decisions toward Meta

Yeah, that's what I was getting at earlier.

Kinda surprised there wasn't a conclusion.

I love having a "local hardware store." When Walmart moves to town, you have to acknowledge the new resource in the community. Tragedy of the commons?
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> I dont want to so i backed out just went thru the steps to show in 5 seconds of less you as a individual can block seeing content from any server
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> Then if you still want to ud click block entire domain
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> When you click block domain a warning comes up
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> Then block if one wants
[matrix] <jameshjacksonjr:one.ems.host> Just click on anyone’s profile from threads.net click the 3 dots

Anything old?