Seriously…anyone got experience using the parental restrictions on an iPhone.
@jasonechols Alternatively, you could buy a cheap dumb phone and switch out the SIM until you feel they've earned back the privilege.

No punishment greater than having to take out a dumb phone in front of your friends.
@charlesg I wish I would've thought about that.
@jasonechols
@Ronnie @jasonechols I work with teen-agers, and most would rather have no phone than suffer that indignity.
@charlesg I imagine. What were the shoes that kids would've rather not had when I was a kid? Buster Brown? 🤔
@jasonechols
@charlesg Actually talked to Verizon about that today. With the weird things that they do with the plans…I would have to pay more to do that. So I am working to figure out how to do it on his current phone. I think what you linked me to is perfect. @ronnie
@jasonechols iOS has terrific parental controls.
@charlesg
@Ronnie @charlesg I will prolly do this later. I basically want it to text and call…pretty much nothing more.
@jasonechols Well, I'm glad about the link. But that's crazy about Verizon! @ronnie
@charlesg @ronnie It is. It has to do with the discounts involved in the setup and the extra access fee I would have to pay. The fees and additional charges are how they gouge you.
@charlesg @ronnie But yeah…pt him on a dumb phone and my bill goes up $5
@jasonechols I'm on AT&T and can do whatever I want with my SIM. @ronnie
@charlesg I'm going to regret this question. What are some of the more interesting things you have done with a SIM card?
@jasonechols
@Ronnie This isn't an encrypted service @jasonechols
@charlesg I gotta do something… @ronnie but I can't until I win the lottery
@charlesg @ronnie Don't ask me how that jumped my reference to Ronnie
@jasonechols Lol... But I do hope you win the lottery! @ronnie
@jasonechols I have some experience with the restrictions, but I'm guessing most of it can be figured out by trial and error. If you have specific questions I can try to answer them for you. @ronnie @charlesg
@saket Thanks! I am going to see what I can do with this tonight. @ronnie @charlesg
@ClaudetteK Great tip! “@charlesg: @jasonechols Alternatively, you could buy a cheap dumb phone and switch out the SIM until you feel they've earned back the privilege.

No punishment greater than having to take out a dumb phone in front of your friends.”
@jasonechols I've worked on a simple principle - restrictions don't work - they will just find another way to get to the wrong stuff.

Phone is a privilege - break the rules and I have a Nokia feature phone for your enjoyment.
@jasonechols plus: I'd rather have a 15yo I can talk to about stuff then a 15yo that hides everything from me.

See: will smith circle of trust [m.youtube.com]
@snrkl At the moment I have fairly young kids who, in my opinion, aren't quite ready for everything the big, bad world has to offer. But I agree that freedom & trust should be the foundation. @jasonechols
@saket yeah. I hear you. My 11yo lost wifi privileges tonight as a result of YouTube during homework time. @jasonechols
@snrkl DO you block them…or just take the device? @saket
@jasonechols depends. Phase one was blocking wifi. Phase two is removal.

After hitting phase one last night we hit phase two this evening.

Lessons will be learned - just seems to be sinking in slowly.

@saket
@saket when they were younger, screens were always used with an adult.

I also like my uncles philosophy - the only shows his kids were allowed to watch were ones they all watched together. @jasonechols
@snrkl As they mature I would move to the model you describe where they learn to take their own responsibility. @jasonechols