[Deleted]
@Kabuku Thanks for the reminder.
[Deleted]
@jeremycherfas I ended up buying 30 items on Friday—the most unexpected/unusual of which might have been this record:

https://dusttodigital.bandcamp.com/album/excavated-shellac-an-alternate-history-of-the-worlds-music

// @Kabuku
[Deleted]
[Deleted]
@joanna That looks interesting. May listen when I am suitably equipped.

/@Kabuku
[Deleted]
@Kabuku Speaking of which, I accidentally spotted that NewWaveRetro had some albums on minidisc. Last time I checked they were out of stock so I have no idea what’s up there. Anyways, I pulled the trigger and one is already on its way. 😁
[Deleted]
@Kabuku I buy CDs still. I can get an external cd drive for $15. My car has a cd player.
/@Streakmachine
[Deleted]
@Kabuku yeah, I like the medium, but my artists don't sell in MD. At this point I'm ripping to digital anyway, but I would want the physical backup still, and artwork, liners, etc.
/@Streakmachine
[Deleted]
@Kabuku I bought two cds this past Friday from bandcamp. I don't have a minidisk player and I prefer the larger format (regardless of my ability to play it) for larger artwork and liner notes.
@Kabuku I’m guessing is more of an availability thing, rather than the audio fidelity. Admittedly, my ears are not as good as they used to be, but I can’t hear any difference between a CD and MD.

Having the hardware is probably where the issue lies.
[Deleted]
cookie jar (l)

DISC-overy

@Kabuku /@Streakmachine I got into MD in the late 1990s because I found a pocket player/recorder that didn’t skip at all when used in a car driven over corrugations & potholes on gravel roads, unlike the portable CD player I previously used. A MD has 20% of the surface area of a CD, so to get one to sound as good as a CD means clever compression is needed/used.…

Read on Longpo.st

@peemee @Kabuku Meanwhile I’m a MD rookie by every measure. Never got to enjoy the format back when it was hip, and before MP3 players took over.

Darn fun to enjoy in the year 2021 though, so I’m not sad. Will be playing my summer tunes on MD for sure!
[Deleted]
@Kabuku It was only last year that I finally got one of the classic iPods, mechanical hard drive and everything. Another device that I look forward to enjoy out and about, in its own way.
[Deleted]
@Kabuku It gives me a bit of the same feeling, although I now have to test it with my Koss headphones. Any offline music device is good in my book, but the sound quality of the MD really impressed me.
@Kabuku No, no, not at all. I got your angle on the matter. 🙂

I am also curious about the whole matter. Quite interesting to how formats that should be relegated to history is kept alive in a fashion, via small communities.
[Deleted]
@Kabuku Good ideas and interesting topics are well worth staying with. This is material enough for at the very least a podcast episode, I’d say.
[Deleted]
@Streakmachine I'm still listening to vinyl records I bought 40 years ago. I also have my mother's record collection. And, I started buying vinyl again 3 or 4 years ago. When I buy vinyl on Bandcamp, I also get the digital files which is nice. @Kabuku
@joanna @Kabuku I think it’s only a matter of time before I get some vinyl. As long as I can secure a record player that does not suck, I’ll probably be stuck.
[Deleted]
@Kabuku I have reasonably varied temperatures during the year, but the real problem factor is called “having kids”. 😕

Guess I’ll have to figure out some tamper-proof storage.

// @joanna
[Deleted]