Received a first generation iPad (no camera) as a gift and though it has almost no apps, it is handy for reading PDFs away from my desk. But what else might it be good for? Pi monitor? Simple writing?
@jeremycherfas I use mine with the keyboard dock and WriteRoom as a dedicated writing station.

It can probably be used for more things, but a lack of apps could be troublesome.
@Streakmachine I think I had WriteRoom at one stage and so might be able to get it again. I tried Notes but it doesn’t sync to the cloud like modern Notes.
@jeremycherfas @Streakmachine iA Writer is a good alternative to WriteRoom and has iCloud sync.
@jeremycherfas Probably not in a version that old.
@neil @jeremycherfas That's an interesting alternative! I had to check, and it's been around for as long as the iPad, so a iOS 5 compatible version should be downloadable.
@Streakmachine I started out with WriteRoom many, many years ago and then moved to iA Writer. I can't recall exactly when that transition happened, but I've been using it daily on both macOS and iOS for years. @jeremycherfas
@neil Totally understandable. I was quite sad to see Writeroom on iOS get dropped because Jesse just couldn't keep up with the many different versions and associated support.

Maybe I should reinstall iA and take it for a spin.

// @jeremycherfas
@Streakmachine I agree about WriteRoom, and then a little while ago I discovered Folding Text, and it is wonderful for certain kinds of writing project.

/@neil
@jeremycherfas @neil I’ll have to take a look at folding text.