Because the colony was clearly far along and needed a queen (was confirming with inspection that queen was gone), I went straight ahead and installed the new queen. The workers weren't aggressive but WERE really excited, immediately spreading her scent.
#🐝
cookie jar (i)
So stage 1 of 3 is complete: Queen installed. Because of the timing of things, I'm going to skip stage 2: installing eggs from the West hive.
Stage 3 is harvesting the honey from the second deep box, which I'm waiting on an extractor for. Once the extractor arrives, I'll extract all the honey from the second deep, and return the empty frames on the bottom, to become the new primary brood box. #🐝
@33MHz That's exciting, you have honey already?
@kyle Because they lost their queen, they are honey-bound; the two deep and the top shallow boxes are all almost completely full of capped honey! 😆 Can't have that, now, can we. I have a new queen needs to be laying, so I need to make her space.
@kyle The workers kept working without a queen, and filled everything in.
Saturday I'll check on them. She won't have much space, so maybe no eggs by then in any case. But to pull the cage and see if things look normal, what aggression is like.
#🐝
[Deleted]