Joe Rogan and Spotify just made a enemy of Arment. https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1262824593494073345
[Deleted]
@j_r_snook Basically, Joe is moving from a open platform in podcasting to a completely closed walled garden of a platform. That’s why Marco is fuming. The only way to listen is to have Spotify. A huge blow to open podcasting today.

/@jacobrealo
@jacobrealo I guarantee this won’t be the last big move I’m sure of it. Apple is thinking about the same thing too. And don’t get me started on Luminary.

/@j_r_snook
@joe Rogan is very popular so this is a big blow to the industry.

/@j_r_snook
@joe Nobody will kill podcasting as long as I can put details of enclosures in my RSS feeds.

/@j_r_snook @jacobrealo
[Deleted]
@jeremycherfas @joe @j_r_snook @jacobrealo Not sure who is a bigger pudding brain: Arment or Rogan. I don't use Spotify for podcasts, but I do lament the move in that direction. However, Spotify is quite widespread, so I doubt he will lose many subscribers
[Deleted]
[Deleted]
@thedoctor @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @jacobrealo @hybotics Matt Stoller posted an update of what I linked yesterday for you to read [mattstoller.substack.com], and there's a good reason why this deal scares me.
cookie jar (l)

I don't buy it.

@joe The simple fallacy in all that is that there’s no such thing as must listen content. People choose listen, and they choose how to listen. If they make bad and uninformed choices, there will be consequences. /@hybotics @jacobrealo @j_r_snook @thedoctor…

Read on Longpo.st

@jeremycherfas This is what I have been trying to say, but not as well as you did.

/ /@joe @jacobrealo @j_r_snook @thedoctor
@jeremycherfas I do hope you’re right since Spotify and others are trying to kill one of the only open places we have left. Would love to be wrong here.

/@hybotics @jacobrealo @j_r_snook @thedoctor
@joe This just is not going to happen. As long as people have free will and can choose what they listen to when they listen, and how they listen, independent podcasting will continue to thrive and grow.

// @thedoctor @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @jacobrealo
@hybotics I do hope and pray that you’re right since Spotify and others are trying to kill one of the only open platforms we have left. I would love to be wrong in this case.

/@jacobrealo @j_r_snook @jeremycherfas @thedoctor
@hybotics @thedoctor @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @jacobrealo Bloomberg reporting today that Apple is ramping up its push into original podcasts by seeking an executive and to buy shows [bloomberg.com], which means they want in the killing open podcasting spree as well.
@joe These articles make so many assumptions to get to their conclusions. I will not take them seriously until I see action. I say again that I do not think this is possible.

// @thedoctor @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @jacobrealo
@hybotics Yup. I mean, who wants to read an article that says Spotify bought Joe Rogan for 100 million. Good luck to them both. We wish them godspeed.

@joe @thedoctor @j_r_snook @jacobrealo
@jeremycherfas I think Rogan has a hardcore fanbase that will follow him. This could work in his favor and be a positive uptick for Spotify. On the flip side Rogan leaving open platforms is bad.

/@j_r_snook @thedoctor @joe @hybotics
@jacobrealo This is the bit I don’t understand. How, exactly, does Rogan going anywhere hurt open? Truly, I want to understand, and I don’t get it.

/@hybotics @joe @thedoctor @j_r_snook
@jeremycherfas This may signal in the future to these platforms that the open and free protocol of RSS stands between them and revenue. Also brings the question traditional ad revenue for podcasters.

/@j_r_snook @thedoctor @joe @hybotics
@jacobrealo Yep, if you read Matt Stoller and Cory Docortow’s thoughts on that, the goal of these corporations are simple: to make open podcasting irrelevant to leave for dead. Thinking the bigger picture.

/@hybotics @thedoctor @j_r_snook @jeremycherfas
@joe The fact that the NYT, for example, puts pages behind a paywall does not force me to do so or prevent me from publishing openly. RSS will continue to be available.

/@j_r_snook @thedoctor @hybotics @jacobrealo
@jacobrealo I don’t have to be a fan of Joe Rogan (which I’m not) to know this is bad news for open podcasting in general because it sets a dangerous precedent that other companies inevitably to join in.

@joe What precedent? There is none to be set here.

// @jacobrealo @thedoctor @j_r_snook @jeremycherfas
cookie jar (l)

Independent Podcasting

Just because Spotify signed Joe Rogan to an exclusive deal, it does not mean other media companies are going to do the same thing. They may or may not do this. Either way, this will not kill independent podcasting. As long as people have a passion for a subject and continue to push podcasts out, independent podcasting will continue to exist and thrive. I neither use Spotify nor have I ever listened to Joe Rogan. I will not miss either of these. …

Read on Longpo.st

@hybotics @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @thedoctor @jacobrealo @joe it can be frustrating if the top talent in a field is poached for exclusive deals.
@jeremycherfas Their fans, I'd think. When a franchise (Star Trek) goes to an obscure streaming service, I now don't get to watch that show.
@33MHz Well of course. But a lot of creators don't think they owe their fans anything. If treating fans like rubbish makes them perhaps less enthusiastic in their fandom, I count that ass a win.
@jeremycherfas I don't mean to attribute fault with creators or something. I just find myself as a fan frustrated when a market decides it is more advantageous to be inaccessible to me. I'm not a podcast fan, but I'm in other arenas.
@33MHz What if Joe Rogan had tried blackmail: if each of you pays me a dollar a year, I'll keep things open. How would fans then feel about free-loaders?
@hybotics @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @thedoctor @jacobrealo @joe back in the old days, the "best" was saved for prime time TV, and you didn't have to worry about having HBO, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS, Hulu, etc.

It can bring legitimacy, though.
@33MHz That’s true. I’m sure there are lots of big podcast/radio people on tenterhooks, waiting for the call.

/@joe @jacobrealo @thedoctor @j_r_snook @hybotics
@jacobrealo and either buy out or sign other indie podcasters to put behind their respective walls.

As Christina Warren points out on the bird site, it took 15+ years for this to happen. [twitter.com]

@joe That’s their choice. It doesn’t kill the system, which remains available as long as people want to use it. RSS and other feeds remain available, no matter what big picture thinkers say.

/@j_r_snook @thedoctor @hybotics @jacobrealo
cookie jar (l)

@jacobrealo It May. And it may not. It may equally lead to a resurgence in the open platform as people realise that there’s no way they’re going to be bought by Spotify, Apple, Amazon or anyone else. I’d pay to be in a directory other than Apple’s, and would welcome the chance. /@hybotics @joe @thedoctor @j_r_snook…

Read on Longpo.st

@joe These articles are just written to create conflict. Conflict sells more ads. This is *really* what it is all about - more money from ads so they can raise the price of ads so they can get more...

@thedoctor @jeremycherfas @j_r_snook @jacobrealo
@hybotics I strongly agree, as you might expect. In fact, there's even talk about adding a media enclosure element to jsonfeed.

@joe @thedoctor @j_r_snook @jacobrealo
cookie jar (l)

Paidcasts or Notcasts

@thedoctor As I don’t listen to Rogan or pay Spotify I don’t really care either way. Let them have their fun. I do think the word podcast should be reserved for things available via RSS, but that ship has sailed. Cf blog vs blog post. /@jacobrealo @j_r_snook @joe…

Read on Longpo.st

@joe Nobody is going to kill podcasting, including Spotify. It is just like nobody is big enough to control the internet. They may kill and gain control over *part* of podcasting, but they can not kill the rest.

// @jacobrealo @j_r_snook
@hybotics There was probably a pretty big downtick in RSS, though, for example, when Google stopped pushing it. It led FF to removing built-in support for it. Big players bring and remove audiences.
@33MHz @hybotics We have seen signs of that is dying, and eventually there would be a day that someone will put the final nail as sad as it is.
@joe Even if this is a unrelated point: I haven't used FireFox in years. I enjoy Safari.

/@33MHz @hybotics
@jacobrealo @33MHz @hybotics You're not missing much, haven't used Firefox since 52 ESR (the last true version before the major changes to extensions) and each version since has gone backwards that contributed to their ever declining market share.
@joe wonder if that has anything to do with Andreas Gal, the former CTO for Mozilla joing Apple in 2018.

/@33MHz @hybotics
@jacobrealo Are they trying to kill Firefox?

// @joe @33MHz
@hybotics I'm not sure what you mean. I'm out of the loop to how we got to discussing FireFox.

// @joe @33MHz
@hybotics @jacobrealo @joe we should be blaming @gtwilson. That always works.
@33MHz I am not taking responsibility for Firefox's bloat and Microsoft's switch to Chromium. /@hybotics @jacobrealo @joe
@gtwilson It's better if you come clean now.
/@hybotics @jacobrealo @joe
@33MHz Well, it all began when I offered some unsolicited advice for Netscape 4.79.../@hybotics @jacobrealo @joe
@GTWilson @joe @jacobrealo @hybotics @33MHz haha but the world demands a scapegoat!!
@thedoctor I thought my absence from most social media would shield me. I was wrong. /@joe @jacobrealo @hybotics @33MHz
@GTWilson apparently so. Did you see how quick @33MHz was to throw you under the bus? :p @joe @jacobrealo @hybotics
@GTWilson We will *always* find you... You can run, but you can not hide... ;)

It is good to see you back here!

// @thedoctor @joe @jacobrealo @33MHz
@GTWilson We are blaming @33MHz for all the bad stuff this week. :) Oh, Robert, I did not see you there... ;) So sorry!

// @33MHz @jacobrealo @joe
@hybotics That's fine. Since I am seldom ever around to take the lumps, it was a smart idea to pawn it off on me. :D /@33MHz @jacobrealo @joe
@jacobrealo @33MHz @hybotics Actually for me, I have to go farther than that. The demise of FirefoxOS and the departure of Elch (due to his own doing) was the true start of their decline.
@joe @jacobrealo @33MHz @hybotics while I disagree with a lot of Moz's choices in the direction they've taken Firefox (OS, FF phone, etc), I think it is important to contribute bc they are all that stand between Google and a very unprivate internet.
@thedoctor @hybotics @jacobrealo @joe I also prefer their font rendering on Linux, and the padding/margin handling.
@thedoctor @jacobrealo @33MHz @hybotics Yep, Firefox is even behind Edge now hate to say. For me, it would be a sad day if/when they decide that is isn't worth it anymore and pivot to a advocacy organization and/or a incubator as reported last week. [techcrunch.com]
@joe What is your preferred browser these days?

// @jacobrealo @33MHz @hybotics
@joanna Chrome, or some derivative of it.

//@33MHz @jacobrealo @joe
@joanna I have been using Vivaldi for about three years now, no regrets.

/@hybotics @33MHz @jacobrealo
@jacobrealo @hybotics yeah, sorry. Firefox.
@hybotics @jacobrealo @j_r_snook Fact is that Spotify is the one that really started this motion of killing open podcasting and they're on their way. They said it themselves that they want to dominate this and leave no trace. This scares me.
@hybotics @jacobrealo @j_r_snook And as I have said, others like Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon, and Luminary are hell bent on joining into the killing spree.
@joe I am not afraid. How is Spotify going to accomplish this if they can not control the independents? It simply is not going to happen just because Spotify says they are going to do it.

@jacobrealo @j_r_snook
[Deleted]
@hybotics @jacobrealo @j_r_snook They & many others have the money to poach these indie podcasters by either acquisition (Gimlet, The Ringer) or contracts and the way it's going I guarantee yesterday is going to be the start of that trend as sad as it is.
@joe Just because Spotify has a lot of money, it does NOT mean they are guaranteed to succeed.

I will stand my position. :)

[Deleted]
@j_r_snook Yes! We, especially we rascals, do not take kindly to being censored! I think we will always look for ways to support the "little guy" rather than patronize the big guys.

// @joe
@joe Please remember that having a lot of money does NOT guarantee success, now, or in the past. This will continue to be true in the fuiture.

[Deleted]