Some acquaintances are putting together a board game night but I can't figure out what the system requirements are for Ye Olde iMac. No way I'll use the work laptop, because my work software is so prone to breaking already.
@mandy Which game they’re considering? I’m sure the game tells you before installing it.
@joe I understand what you’re saying, but since it is a group we don’t know yet. They’re proposing Steam and I can’t even see the system requirements for that - it links to a dmg.
Mr TDH says I can use a step-kid pc if necessary so I have a backup plan.
@mandy @joe if the game works in Steam, then you need to make sure the game is available on Mac. If it's something "common" like Ticket to Ride, then you will be fine.
@mikehoss Even if my Mac is old? @joe
@mandy I know it doesn’t play nice on Catalina like most legacy apps but if you have an older macOS version (like Sierra-High Sierra-Mojave) it should be fine no matter how old it is as long as the hardware specs are enough.

/@mikehoss
@joe Both Macs are 10.12 Sierra. I'll wait and see. Maybe it will be best to just let Mr TDH play and I can watch. @mikehoss
@mandy Everything @joe most board game apps are cross-platform. a few of the heavier ones are not. Terraforming Mars is a popular one that is Windows-only.
@mandy @joe @mikehoss// as an aside, ”Between Two Cities” is currently free on Steam, haven’t played it, but I really like the premise.
@Wife Have heard of it but never played that. Might have to check it out.

/@mikehoss @mandy
@mikehoss @mandy I say if it’s a indie game or a simple title on Steam than it should be fine since Steam does work on Macs. Be aware that most games aren’t compatible on Macs since PCs are the dominant option and many Devs just can’t afford Macs.
@mandy for all I know, they might want to use this in the (near) future: https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/ — it requires 10.12 or newer, but **not** Catalina.
@adiabatic Tabletop Simulator? Do you get to tell it how the game works and then play anything?
@mandy It's pretty much a tabletop simulator. People with lots of free time make up assets (dominoes, game pieces, Monopoly boards) and then other people can use those assets in their games…
@mandy …part of what makes Tabletop Simulator kind of clunky is that you're literally manipulating objects yourself. That is, picking things up high enough to not knock over other pieces, and then put them down.

(continued…)
@mandy If you get invited to a Tabletop Simulator game, I'd recommend getting a screenshot of the controls and printing them out. I tend to forget a lot of the controls, and there kind of are a lot of them.
@adiabatic Thanks for all the advice. I don’t understand much of it now but I guess it will become invaluable if the group decides on it. I’m not sure how they’re selecting games since I think many of them are not free.