We just released Session, a fork of Signal with phone numbers and the central servers removed.

Https://getsession.org/
Available iOS, Android, win, Mac and Linux.

Please rate and review!
Would be much appreciate if people could also help me boost it out into their social networks
@thrrgilag thanks, we’ve been working hard on it for 6 months. The open group system uses the app.net api too
@ryantharp I'll dig into it and probably pepper you with questions this next week.
@thrrgilag great, happy to answer! We have a 20-40 page white paper that explains everything too coming out soonish
@ryantharp Any plans for other mobile releases such as a non google play android version? Or perhaps a look into the mobile Linux space?
@thrrgilag a lot of users asking for f-droid and I think we’re committed to that after we do a couple rounds of bug fixes first

Also gotten requests for the librem5 (?) but I haven’t heard any of the mgmt says anything yet on that.
@ryantharp Awesome. Will there be an API open for 3rd party development? The Librem 5 is still very new, I've got an early release device myself for development & testing. I use an Ubuntu Phone now for my main device.
@thrrgilag it’s all open source, desktop is in electron, iPhone I believe is swift/obj-c, and android is java.

Will be a bot api (likely in node first). And the opengroup api is an adn clone.

Friend is working on converting over libsignal (c/c++) too
@ryantharp Ah excellent then I shall dig into it further. I could probably easily hook my matrix-pnut bridge in with the opengroup thing (assuming it makes sense to do so).
@thrrgilag that would be neat. I have a discord and several live streaming services bridges in node. Still missing matrix and telegram
@thrrgilag awesome thank you!
@ryantharp @thrrgilag Electron... Yuck. A web or a PWA version should be considered.
@joe limited resources; having just one app is awfully convenient for the team, I'm sure!
@33MHz I keep saying it, a minimum 16 GB (preferably in the 20s) desktop/laptop RAM is the happy zone due to this.
@joe yah. In this case, hopefully the API will let in a healthy ecosystem.
@joe @thrrgilag yea not my personal preference, all of that was inherited from the Signal project.
@thrrgilag the white paper just came out, I haven’t even read it yet, been busy working on a bug fix release

https://getsession.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Session-Whitepaper.pdf
@ryantharp Wow, this is surprisingly unexpected. Will have to check out!
@joe awesome, still a bit buggy, 1.0 and all but I’d love to hear any feedback or ideas
@joe @ryantharp I agree! This is a surprise to be sure, but a most welcome one. I shall also dig into it as soon as it is possible!
@ryantharp Can you link to documentation for opengroup API?
@33MHz I’ll type up some today, all the adn endpoints are the same. We just add some for moderation and authentication (done with keypairs instead of laugh)
@33MHz But basically an open group is just a server with one (patter) channel. Using the file api for attachments. And then we have some annotations we use for signatures (so you can prove the server admin didn’t tamper with a message)

@ryantharp So open group is not encrypted, just signed? But the rest is... encrypted? Open group is like a patter chat, not like a group PM?
@33MHz yea, open group is only just ssl transport encrypted and just signed.
Closed groups are encrypted and max at 10 members because multidevice actually doubles what we have to do and then each user added to the group increases complexity exponentially