I think people can be paid to work, but software is continually pushed into commoditization.
Apps have decreasingly been important to Apple's success, I think.
@33MHz I don't know about that. In my opinion, everytime I open the "Google Play Store" on a device, I see a huge pile of rubbish, scam and virus apps, all full of ads.
That's the moment when I'm glad Apple reviews every single App so strictly.
@unixb0y sorry, how does that relate?
@33MHz well without the good apps, iOS wouldn’t be what it is. And without such a cared for AppStore, there would be one less reason to use iOS.
@33MHz
I just thought of this a while ago: If I buy a 800€ Android smartphone, good hardware specs, good exterior design, etc. and then fill that great Amoled screen with ad banners on top and bottom nonstop, no matter which App I use...
That's no UX
@unixb0y aren't the majority of the apps you use on iOS on Android also? Or the others you use commodities that anybody could make (and has)? How many iOS apps do you actually want that aren't available on Android?
@33MHz I don't know, but I always have around 100 Apps on my iPhone out of which almost none show ads. That's because on iOS more devs opt for the purchasing-business model which I prefer too, as a user.
@33MHz Of course, most Apps have a similar version on Android, but e.g. when going to the "Top" page on iOS; I see a lot of paid Apps, on the PlayStore not so much.
@unixb0y your point about Apple's app store is more to my case than not! The apps don't matter, it's Apple's power, not the apps that matter, in that case.
@33MHz Okay, you're right I got a bit away from your original post.
Regarding that - I don't know. Yes, Apple's stock apps as well as their messenger etc. are pretty good, but there's SO much they don't do....
@unixb0y I'm agreeing with these app developers that "making a living" as an independent app developer is harder than ever.
@unixb0y And I'm suggesting that there is no bargaining with Apple, because besides all the power being Apple's, apps are less important than prior years, and I think that trend will increase.
@33MHz Why are they less important?
There's no Apple App for social media platforms, no Apple games, no Apple onlineshopping Apps, no Apple train / bus plan Apps, no Apple translator Apps, image processing Apps, crypto wallets, running, biking Apps, ...
@unixb0y reduce that list to indie dev apps, because the non-indies don't care about getting a "cut" from Apple's store - in fact, reduce that to all non-free apps!
@33MHz Hmm I think most of the free Apps in that list were the social networks, the rest I paid for.
@unixb0y @33MHz Apple tends to Sherlock the popular markets. Google Maps begat Apple Maps - which, where I am, does include public transit info. Facebook, Twitter, Sina Weibo, and more were integrated into iOS for a few years - they got yanked out in 11.
@jws Well you see: the social media things were even removed, and Maps is one of the few Apps that they "copied". If you compare the number of Apple Apps to other smartphone manufacturer's stock Apps, it's not much larger. // @33MHz
@unixb0y They'll keep folding in functionality that gets popular elsewhere. iCloud Keychain replaced the need for personal use of 1Password or similar. iMessage is their social network - Likes, jumbomoji, stickers, & Snapchatty Clips [apple.com] vids. @33MHz
@jws You're right about the keychain, but that's one of the things that do make sense to be "integrated" in the OS, just like the flashlight in the control center (remember the flashlight apps back in the day? :D).
But e.g. nobody uses iMessage :P @33MHz
@unixb0y @33MHz iMessage sees a lot of use in the US. (Unlimited SMS is also pretty common here.)
@jws oh I didn't know that! :) So they use the Messages App because of SMS → use iMessage frequently, while here they put it away in a folder and then don't use iMessage with other Apple users as well :) @33MHz
@unixb0y @33MHz Sounds about right, yup.
@jws I do have unlimited SMS too but a lot of people don't. I kind of like SMS, not always going over the Internet for everything... ^^ @33MHz
@33MHz Especially when Apple is pushing their own services so heavily now a days. If the App Store shuts down, it’s barely a blip to them.

Plus devs are aggressively pushing into web apps like PWAs and Electron there’s probably no need for native apps.
@33MHz good thing you didn't name this place App.net or something #gallowshumor #toosoon?