Been slowing switching over from Intellij to Emacs as my dev environment for Grails (what I'm developing in atm, though temporarily). Some things are easy, others things are harder.
For what I'm doing now (changing some configs and running unit tests over ~25 projects) Emacs is a better tool than Intellij. Again, at least for this. #emacs4ver
@mikehoss I'm from the dark side (Vim, Neovim), but I've got the same impression of the old way of doing things. Things are super condensed and fast when compared with modern IDEs.
@schmidt_fu I've found with exuberant-ctags and ack/ripgrep, I'm a lot faster for most things in a plain editor. Refactoring/renaming becomes hard however
@mikehoss if you use ack, have you heard of ag?
https://github.com/ggreer/the_silver_searcher

I dunno about ack, but ag is blazingly fast even in a big codebase.
#commandline #coding
@schmidt_fu ack is fast once it starts up... But starting up Perl is slower than running a C or Rust tool.
@schmidt_fu I'm switching from ack to ripgrep. Seems faster than even ag. https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep
@schmidt_fu rg (ripgrep) is faster yet. The competition continues, to everyone's benefit. @mikehoss
@jws @schmidt_fu agreed. The competition in this space is a great thing. My only complaint about rg is installing it isn't great
@mikehoss I think Homebrew downloads a pre-compiled package, so it's painless on Mac.
// @schmidt_fu
@jws I've had Homebrew screw up my system, so I use MacPorts. I got burned by "you need cargo to install cargo" loop. I just grabbed the OSX binary // @schmidt_fu
@mikehoss Yeah, refactoring is exactly the stuff where IDEs shine. They suck at text editing at times, though.
It seems like they are like a surgeons knive and a hammer, respectively. You need both, but for different stages.
@schmidt_fu Both-and is a great choice. Happy to see newer languages building editor-independent language support for stuff like syntax highlighting and refactoring, though. @mikehoss