I use AmazonSmile. Probably meaningless, but still bummed to be losing it for nothing.

> In 2013, we launched AmazonSmile…the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped…wind down AmazonSmile by February 20
I even use the Firefox addon redirecting all my Amazon purchases to smile.amazon.com.
It looks like I buy something on Amazon ~1/mo.
@33MHz this blows! I use Smile exclusively on mobile...
@33MHz I understand their argument that the charity is spread too thin to be impactful, but I don't buy it. It's a cost saving measure. I would be shocked if they took the same amount of money and put it toward more impactful things.
@theprawn I bet they were less interested as the addons have become more popular.
@theprawn the real argument is, everyone *who uses AmazonSmile* uses an addon to automatically handle it, where they want you to have to manually think about it and switch to it, so that they get that recognition each time, or don't get the donation.
@theprawn the addons are the worst for them because people may then completely forget Amazon is even donating anything, and they don't get the reinforcement of Amazon's good will each purchase.
@33MHz You're probably right.

// @theprawn
@theprawn but it was always mizerly and weird user experience to have to switch to Smile each purchase.
@33MHz I hadn't even considered their being butt-hurt over extensions taking away their attention. One more reason to feel good about foregoing Amazon.
@33MHz I had honestly forgotten about switching. I know I used smile most of the time on my desktop but have no idea about mobile. I rarely use Amazon anymore, though.

// @theprawn
More discussion on AmazonSmile shutdown: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34435338

Requiring users to type in smile.amazon.com instead of always registering purchases to non-profit cut out any possible affiliate links.

@muncman @nitinkhanna @theprawn
@33MHz Interesting. I got in the habit of always using the smile link — I type “s” in the browser’s location field, and it offers to complete to that.
/@theprawn @nitinkhanna
@muncman I made it into a homescreen icon which opens as a standalone webapp. Too easy... if Amazon only wanted to support the "product".
// @theprawn @33MHz
@33MHz I found it pathetic that at one point they added a "feature" to the normal app to make it eligible for Amazon Smile, but only if you enable mind-numbing notifications and "re-enable" the feature every couple of weeks #idiots @theprawn @muncman
@nitinkhanna grr, dead in the water @theprawn @muncman
Waow, they are taking the care to catch folks with extensions. I wonder just how many people use them. What are the numbers?
/@theprawn @nitinkhanna @muncman
cookie jar (i)
@33MHz Oh I'm sure it's a plentiful number. The amounts they've said they've distributed through Smile aren't small!
When I went to Smile just now, I got redirected to -
https://www.amazon.com/?redirectFromSmile=1

@muncman @theprawn
@theprawn three out of five of those help Amazon themselves. Also takes away the choice from us consumers. Anyways... @33MHz @muncman
and on that redirect page, Amazon tried to push their new medical offerings to me. #douchebags