What is the most important thing about owning yur own data?
cookie jar (d)

Doubt: What is the most important thing about owning yur own data?

• running your own server
  • being able to move your data from location to location
Closed 🌕🕚 2 yr ago
@cambridgeport90 yeah -- I think if it's not truely peer to peer or similar, then it's hub-and-spoke, effectively. E-mail as a model. And I'd expect that to reproduce a lot of the issues with E-mail.
@33MHz True. Though you could argue that Wordpress becomes centralized because of Jetpack... I sort of like that functionality, though.
@cambridgeport90 But if it's p2p, you then have issues of authority, lack of community, etc. A hub-and-spoke model OVER a p2p system of some sort, could be valuable. Embed the p2p data into communities.
@33MHz You're right. You get fake stuff being posted,but you could ultimately get that anywhere. Look what happened to Parlour.
@cambridgeport90 yeah, but as far as bad info, I think issues of scale are the main concern. Totally fine for some random guy to get off work and hang with friends saying irrelevant or wrong things over a beer. Not cool to be printing it in the newspaper.
@cambridgeport90 So small == healthier behaviors, IMO
@33MHz I've noticed that I don't see anything nasty up here. And all of the bots are actually significant to the network. I'm sure that some of the ones on Twitter are good,too, but n
ot most of them.
@cambridgeport90 true, although, I think folks have generally found less "meat" to bite into on juicy topics here. For better or worse. :P
@33MHz I have a lot more I am careful now about discussing on the internet nowadays. I got the Twitter account dedicated to the spiritual side of my life suspended three times.
@33MHz Probably the psychology types up there thinking I'm publishing hallucinations or something. I have no issues describing the beings with whom I interact.
@cambridgeport90 Some of this is just a matter of scale, right? Pnut, for example, is part of a decentralized system (Internet). You can't press a button and move your Pnut data somewhere else, or vice versa; basics [pnut.io]. But that's good and bad.
@33MHz But if something happened to the server running the project, then everything would disappear, wouldn't it?
@cambridgeport90 because PNut isn't just one more house in the suburbs, we have our own design, authority, etc. If this goes away, or becomes unsuitable for someone, they can leave it behind, can't reproduce. Performance art?? 😆
@33MHz Because the server just runs the API, right?
@cambridgeport90 as for the E-mail model, you get people building blacklists on Mastodon and other networks… Like E-mail, right? You have issues with people trying to "be accepted" with their custom E-mail servers. Defacto centralization with Gmail.
@33MHz true though, because not everyone will except a domain of cambridgeport90.org on the end. I have an Outlook address in the event that happens.