hackers
Share your hacking ideas and feats. Come out and play!

Glued blessings
Clubbies

Shiny is better. ⇄

More edgecase bugs hacked away today. Refactored creating posts/reposts. Next up is file upload improvements! #dev
cookie jar (b)

From blessing 1225564

Lists are a feature I'm considering for making pnut.gallery a more functional app. Don't want to delete and create messages in a channel to reorder an image in a photo gallery.

API v2.0 is a lot about file handling.
I think PNut could be useful as its own water cooler, plus as another tool for glue into the Internet. Like with RSS streaming into your pnut streams, being able to bookmark and annotate bookmarks.

My ideas around API first-party "lists" as an object are in a similar vein. Where channels are time-series, lists would be formally curated (can be ordered, e.g.).
@thrrgilag sounds grand. In the same vein there's the old Known plugin [github.com] that is in the #indieweb with @cn, @jeremycherfas.

I have a long-time goal of making a robust RSS system for cross-posting from RSS into PNut first-party (@kwood's service is gone unfortunately).
TBH I don't expect pnut will ever be my exclusive social network, but rather something I will remain active with alongside my federated social account which is currently on a self-hosted Friendica instance. And because of that I started looking at cooking up a plugin for Friendica to allow me to have both accounts in the same interface.
- posts.pnut.io/1218455 "people going Monk-mode on their phones" no social media
- posts.pnut.io/1218464 @papierzeit: "I have now removed all social media apps from my smartphone and by all I really mean all, even YouTube and co. #Pnut is all that remains…"

relevant today. ☺️
@ravisorg cool, that's what I thought.
The app.net kickstarter ended with 12k backers if that’s what you’re referring to - so I think they would have been aiming for 10k, not 20….
(or was it 20K?)
If we had 2000 active users, would that be enough? ADN shot for 10K initially, but that was a team of 10 with backing of course.
There is plenty of work to justify investment. But it's more about "what would it look like to attract more people?" I think I could ask that more broadly just casually. Hey, I tried the newsletter for the 7y anniversary, I could ask some things there for feedback. And friends.
I got my oldest kid's middle name from App.net. πŸ˜›
Over the years there's been a lot of public undermining of social media as a past-time. When I think of how @joanna and some of us used social media… the public didn't really get that. My friends don't get it still.
@thrrgilag right, if we make it a node on activitypub, micro.blog, etc, it doesn't justify the labor or the pay, and of course cuts into what pnut has been… table stakes.
@thrrgilag another good question. Over the years I've been open to the possibility or ambition to make it a full-time or even part-time job. Part-time is probably workable. I think the general public would say that's a ridiculous idea. It is boutique.
Yeah this is a tough one. I'm generally in favor of federated networks but as I've thought about it for pnut, supporting something like ActivityPub (or other federated protocols) doesn't really gain you anything unless you were planning to change how pnut operates.

@33MHz out of curiosity do you have a desire to grow pnut into a business, potentially your full time job? Or is it really just a hobbyist thing and let people do with it what they will provided it can pay for itself?
[Deleted]
Discussing #pnut's future in the hackers chat room [patter.chat]. What do you want to do?
cookie jar (b)

From blessing 1218261

Competition as well, of course. "Why isn't Pnut an ActivityPub server?"
@ludolphus That's a good thing to discuss. It doesn't have natural onboarding other than word of mouth right now, and it's sort of become a thing where users who use it have made it special to themselves. Like, few people invite friends, or if they do, they don't use Pnut with their friends, they use it independently. So finding its niche is still a concern. How it's structured.

There are also a lot of general headwinds. People disfavoring social media, people limiting themselves to group chat apps, lack of E2E encryption for people who think social media should be super serious.

You gave up too much to turn back now. ⇄